Obama's speech...I have a question that I would REALLY love to get some responses on!!! PLEASE LOOK!!!

first of all I am a very liberal and my DH is very conservative. My DH liked a lot of Obamas idea like making it illegal to deny coverage due to pre existing conditions and put caps on the amount that they can make you pay out of pocket. My dhs only real concern was the part about the public option. He thinks that putting a government run option out there would put all of the other companies out of business so my question to you is If there is a public option out there would you stick with what you have or go with the cheaper option? Do you think that having this other option out there would put private insurance companies out of business.? My personal opinion is that it MIGHT put them out of business but my experience with my insurance company is that I wouldn’t care if it did because they don’t care about the patients all they care about is money so if they go out of business then too bad for them. (cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Where continued?
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 4:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• (cont) They deserve to go out of business's for treating people they way they do. My DH has a VERY serious medical condition and it took me 6 months to get him an appointment with a specialist and after waiting that long the dr said he didn't really know much about my dhs specific condition and that he would have to research it and get back to us. that was 3 weeks ago and i have called every week and still he has nothing to tell us!!! I hate insurance companies and they really need regulation IMO

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• it took me 6 months to get him an appointment with a specialist and after waiting that long the dr said he didn't really know much about my dhs specific condition and that he would have to research it and get back to us. that was 3 weeks ago and i have called every week and still he has nothing to tell us!!! I hate insurance companies and they really need regulation IMO

And that is the fault of the insurance company HOW??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It looks like no one has really answered your question...so I will try.

If there was a cheaper option that gave me the same coverage as my current health insurance then I would definately change to the cheaper route. Honestly I wouldnt think about each health insurance company in particular...I would think about me and my family.
    BeautyBaby

Answer by BeautyBaby at 5:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If there was a cheaper option that gave me the same coverage as my current health insurance then I would definately change to the cheaper route. Honestly I wouldnt think about each health insurance company in particular...I would think about me and my family.

You would switch JUST because it is cheaper. I think you may want to wait for MORE details. Just because it is cheaper, doesn't mean it is better.Just saying.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Government takeover would not spark competition. A NEW government entity would have to be created? Who is going to pay for that? Follow the trail. No matter HOW you look at it, taxes will have to beincreased. And NOT just the wealthy. Opening up insurance options beyond state lines would create competition. Taking the employer OUT of healthcare and giving the control to the individual would.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Even if individuals don't all flock to it by choice, their employers may not give them a choice. If the "contribution" for not insuring your employees is cheaper than providing them insurance, no employer is going to keep paying thousands and thousands to offer their employees insurance. Once people are cut loose and have to choose in the "exchange" nobody is going to pick a more expensive option unless they make it very restrictive and it's not accepted anywhere (like medicaid).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I AGREE WITH YOU! I WOULD TAKE THE CHEAPER OPTION IF IT GAVE ME THE SAME COVERAGE.

Answer by older at 7:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• These are very big if's. You don't know what the definition of "cheaper" is and you don't know if it will give you the same coverage. The other thing you need to think about (for your DH's sake) is the amount of specialists that will take the UHC. Many Dr.'s already don't accept Medicare / Medicaid, and if you DH is suffering from something serious a private plan may give him better coverage. Have you talked to your insurance company to see if they can find you a specialists, or are you just going to whomever you were referred to? Sometimes if you want a job done right, you have to do it yourself.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Some is better than none..and trust me;there are more ppl out here in the big wide world who have none,due to the fact they either don't qualify for 'gov't run',or medicare(another gov't run). Giving the individual more feasible choices is the smart way. I still am confused as to who he thinks is going to pay for all of this.He dodged that ? yet again,sigh....
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 8:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2009