Can anyone tell me about Anchorage, AK?

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Anchorage. We wouldn't move until after our baby is born in April. We are looking for jobs, apts, etc. We have quite a tight budget. I'd really like to know what people who live there think of the place.

mkJenne

Asked by mkJenne at 6:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Travel

• Alaska is very expensive. I have lived up here for 5 years now. The best place for information is the State of Alaska official website. Look under the "How do I" section. The State system for applying for jobs is called Alexys. You can look for state government employment on Workplace Alaska.

The average apartment in Anchorage will be at least $1000 per month. Utilities cost more than the lower 48. Gas is about $3.30 per gallon. Food is considerably more also. I am not trying to discourage you, but you state that you are already on a tight budget.

If you need any questions answered feel free to send me a message.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 3:11 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It is a great place to raise kids. Things are more expensive then in lower48. Winters are long,long.........and cold!
    Alaska is pretty isolated from other states ,so you just can not visit your family when you want,tickets are expensive.
    When you love outdoors then Alaska is place for you. Nature is pretty breath-taking.Many parks ,hiking trails.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• KTUU.com
    adn.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• $1000 per month? What kind of apartment? We aren't looking for anything fancy. I found some studio & 1 bedroom apartments online in the $700 - $800 range. Am I being taken in? Are they going to be super crappy? (I'm always skeptical about online stuff. Pictures can make things look a lot nicer than they are.)
    mkJenne

Answer by mkJenne at 3:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• They will be very small and old. My friends lived in one for $800 per month that used to be military housing. I think it was 700 square feet and was built in the 50's. In Anchorage you want to stay out of Mountain View and Fairview. They are horrible areas.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You can rent normal apartment per $800 a month. Some even have special internet & cable for a very low price.
    Maybe first thing for you to do is find the job.Move only when you or your husband have find the job in Alaska. There are cheap motels to stay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Thanks ladies. After doing a bit more research and taking into account the things you have said, we're decided not to move to Alaska, at least not right now. We'd like to some day, but for now we're going to move to Nebraska and save lots of money.
    mkJenne

Answer by mkJenne at 4:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2009