Vaccines Question: Do they use live viruses to manufacture the vaccines for our babies and if they do where do they get it?

....the viruses it is what I meant?

Our pediatrician mentioned something as "live virus" or so to refer to the kind of vaccine he was given to our baby. Since I'm not expert about it....
How vaccines are made?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some vaccines are live while others are dead. MMR, Chickenpox, and I believe the Rotavirus are live, and the nasal flu mist-- Which means they can shed through sneezing, poop etc. Hmmm where do they get... not sure-some sick person long a go or someone who was sick recently-I really dont know. Part of the reason I do not vaccinate though.

here is the CDC web site-it should tell you it the vaccine is live or not and tell you the ingredients....MRC-5 is the aborted fetuses from 30 years ago...just to point out one of many ingredients used to create a vaccine

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-1.pdf

Also by law the ped. is suppossed to tell you of teh possible side efffects before injecting any child. You can also ask for the manufactures insert BY LAW....on the insert is will also state the adverse reactions.

Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes the MMR and the 'chicken pox' Vacc. are live. It is a very small dose of the Diseases so that the immune system can be introduced to them and build an immunity. I don't know where they manufactuers get the live portion of the vacc. I would have to look that up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• anon: thanks for the reaffirmation. I thought that I heard it wrong. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Live viruses are cultured on once living things in laboratories. To culture these viruses, they use aborted fetal tissue, monkey kidney, and an array of other nasty stuff.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• epoh I'm back after dropping my son at school and you just astounded me! thanks for the info. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2009