Did the school just ask me if I have a restraining order?

I got a form to be filled out and I was surprised to see a question where it says that if I have someone who will not be permitted in school.

The questionnaire is very thorough they are even asking for your annual salary to see if you qualify for food stamps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That was on our form too, and the food stamps question is about funding for the school. If there are a certain % of students on food stamps they get more federal $$

It's sad that a school form had to be changed to include questions like "are there any custody disputs we should know about"? and seperate address and phone number lines for Mom and Dad, it's assumed that they are divorced or never married...SAD sign o the times
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Most schools have started doing that just incase the other parent isn't allowed around the child for safety issues or what not. Its more of a precaution so someone who isn't allowed to be around your child doesn't show up and pick them up and take off with your child.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Our school was so thorough that you had to list the people who WERE allowed to pick up your child. And only those people are allowed to see your child on school grounds.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Schools need to know who is and who is NOT allowed access to your child. If you specify that your child is not to be around a particular person, the school will not allow that person to pick your child up. If there is a restraining order, you need to take a copy of it to the school office.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• In my area, we have to list who is allowed to pick up our kids. We also have to check in at the office, and show our driver's license the first time which they scan into the system for future verification, when we pick them up early or come in for events like parties, awards ceremonies, etc. When they scan the license, it checks to see if you are a registered sex offender, and if you are, you are asked once to leave campus and if you don't go, they call the cops. So, while the question is worded differently, your school is just doing the same thing mine does: protecting our kids from people that we don't want around them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:38 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I imagine with all of the custodial issues our society is plagued with these days, it's important to bring up with the school's office if there is someone that is not allowed to leave with your child. Like a parent that has supervised visits, or someone that you deem a danger or risk to your child (like a grandparent that does not provide safe supervision of your child).

My DS's school asks both if there are people not allowed to pick him up, and then ask you to provide names and numbers of people that are allowed to pick him up. I don't see how they can be that diligent over this issue with almost 1000 kids to watch over. But it's always good to fill the papers out carefully so that your concerns are made record with the school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Oh, and the food stamp thing, our school doesn't want to know about food stamps, but if you have a lower income you can qualify for free or reduced cost lunch for your child (and breakfast too).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• anon 8:13, you say you're not sure how they can be diligent with this info....I can't speak for everywhere, but I know our school puts all the info into the computer. When you come in to pick up your child, they look it up in the computer. The secretary actually showed me the screen one time, and it actually has on the first screen the people that cannot pick up your child and those that can. You could always ask at your school and see if they do that. I would imagine they must do something, b/c otherwise, with it in the paperwork, they could face some serious issues if they released a child to someone listed as not being allowed to pick the child up.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Our form or information card is so tiny...I think it is a way to ensure that the information is filed (literally). They have it on the computer system and in one of those cabinets.
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 8:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes, we need to know about restraining orders, custody issues, ect... we have a confidential file for staff so we can keep your kid safer. We also monitor the sex offender list with pictures and make sure we know their faces and offenses for the same reason.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2009