was it really wine?

I was wondering if Jesus really turned water into wine or if it was hyped up grape juice? Also did Jesus drink?

Ibelongtojesus

Asked by Ibelongtojesus at 6:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think so. I think it was the unfermented juice of the grape. In the Greek, one word (oinis) is used to describe both unfermented and fermented grape juice. The words usage depends on its context. I'm sure Jesus wouldn't have encouraged drunkeness. ( (John 2:9, 10) This would be contrary to His own Word. (Habakkuk 2:15; Luke 12:46; Ephesians 5:18)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• New wine was grape juice. Old was considered better. That's why the stewerd commented on the fact that wine tasted older better. So yes it was wine. He was just doing what his mother bidded, Because here Jesus shows up with all his disciples that probably weren't invited. The groom is probably a litle ticked. Who are these people drinking and eating? The wine isn't going to last as long as it should. This story also shows how much respect he had for his Mother, that she could intercede ask him for help for us.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• it wasnt grape juice and jesus drank wine with his meals.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:21 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It's said in the bible.. So I guess its true. -coughs-
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Of course it was wine. Of coure Jesus didn't get drunk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I do think they actually drank wine. Wine was safer to drink back then than water was.... So, I always believed He turned the water in to actual wine.

Drinking has a whole different connotation over here. In Europe (for example), though, its thought of a whole different way. They drink it with their meals all the time, children are allowed to start drinking at a younger age - its just looked at as a normal thing. And there aren't as many people getting drunk just for the heck of it over there, either. Its a whole different mindset, and I believe it was like this in the time of Jesus, as drinking wine with meals was common.

Its not a sin to drink, remember, its a sin to fall into drunkenness.

=)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes it was wine and yes Jesus drank.. remember the wine was considered the best. Usually at jewish weddings they served the best first but the wine Jesus gave was the best , he saved the best for last.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree with everyone that has said it was actual wine. As bandgeek said, wine was actually safer to drink than water. We attach a negative connotation to drinking here, but the U.S. is actually in the minority with that attitude. Having a glass of wine with a meal is much different than going to a bar and downing 10 or 15 beers. I believe that was the attitude in the time of Jesus as well.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It was wine. Back then wedding celebrations lasted for days and like others have said the good stuff so to speak came out first. The wine Jesus made was higher quality.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009