Hidden fat tax?

If the HRB passes, will everyone who is an ounce above a perfect BMI see their insurance rates skyrocket to offset the pre-existing condition people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They already have "sin taxes" on alcohol and cigarettes I am sure the "fat" tax is not far behind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I haven't heard that one. But honestly. I think that is a good idea. It's an incentive to stay healthy. Lower insurance costs if you are healthy weight? Sounds good to me!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I hope not! Since my second pregnancy I have gain weight. If the bill passes I was wondering how are they going to propose to be imposed.
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 8:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• grly.. i take it you are in perfect BMI range huh so it wouldn't affect you! i however am not, and its not like im unhealthy never had to be in the hospital never at a dr rarely have a cold perfect blood pressure no diabetes or even close, and i should be 150 and im 190, so because of that i should be taxed up the ass?? even though ive been to the dr. less then some thin people i know?
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Is USA the first country where this is going to happen. Not in my country!
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 8:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I don't think it's a good idea - 1) how often do they reassess? 2) BMI's are inaccurate

Most people are overweight according to a BMI chart, even the healthy ones. If you get weighed at your first well baby visit and have that extra 15 lbs, it could double your insurance rate for the next year. If you are proportioned differently than the "average" person you can be your perfect weight and register as overweight because you have more muscle mass in your legs. I wouldn't doubt for a second that every woman over 130 lbs would be uprated and every man over 160. Why would they only penalize the morbidly obese when they can squeeze every penny they can get out of the pre-menopausal retaining water people?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I doubt it. Not anytime soon anyway. They will have the "sweet"tax though.
    I say instead of taxing the bad stuff why don't they just ban it. If you are going to be ridiculous you may as well go all the way. Then we could shut down all the fast food places because if we didn't have that convenience then we would be eating healthier sto start with, We all know fast food meals are to large and full of to many callories. We could even regulate how many calories are allowed in meals in restraunts
    Think of how many nutritionists we could hire!
    :P
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I doubt it. Not anytime soon anyway.

You really think the insurance companies won't jack their rates up the same day the bill is signed?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• being fat is a sin???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Nope. I am not perfect BMI. But I think it is a good incentive to work harder.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2009