I am furious with my doctor!!

Okay, so uninformed in May, i went in for my son's 12 month shots. THEY ARE THE LAST THING THAT WILL EVER BE INJECTED INTO MY SON AGAIN. This stupid nurse started injecting the chicken pox vax into his leg he moved and she came up squirted alot of the vax all over his leg and there was an inch to two inch needle scrape on his leg!!! It took every ounce of strength i had not to punch that *&^% in the face! She ran off quick to ask the dr if they had to inject another one!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? I stayed only because i had no idea if getting only half a dose was more harmful or not... she told us nothing except that we can redo it along with his 15 month shots. She didn't clean up the bleeding wound! All she said during her rush around the office was sorry for your wait!!! now i am scared to death of what it means for my sons health! I didn't want him to get this in the first place! Anyone know if he can still get chickpox?

syn84

Asked by syn84 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i can see where youd be furious....i dont blame you. but even if your child gets the full dose they can still get chicken pox. i worked at a daycare that has school age kids and 10 4th graders in ONE SCHOOL who all got the shot got chicken pox. just bc you get a vaccine doesnt mean you're immune to the disease. unfortunately thats what drs and medicine companies want ppl to believe. i wont go into the debate tho lol to answer the question, yes its still possible, but also possible with the full shot. dont worry chicken pox may be annoying but your son will be ok if he gets it.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Sounds like a VERY unprofessional nurse. Don't be scared of vaccines/injections again. You need a new dr. office or just don't let that nurse near you again!! Did you let the Dr. know what happened?? Or the office manager?? I worked in a dr. office and this would NOT be ok. Someone needs to know that this happened. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• uhh.. they dont get 15 month shots...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• As a parent I would say not to get another chicken pox vaccine... you can think about it again if you would like before he goes to school if he hasn't gotten them by then. You can also have a titer drawn to see if the partial dose has given him some protection.
    As a pediatrics nurse... things like this sometimes happen... kids move so fast sometimes! BUT things she should have done as first she should have cleaned him up and checked him out. Then she should have taken some time to apologize for the injury. Then the doctor should have come and talked to you too about what it means to have a partial vaccine. Beyond what you see as a parent, there should have been a report made about what happened to your son (which if you wanted, could probably ask to see) The clinic should then make a plan so that things like this hopefuly never happen again. Maybe a new policy that they need someone to hold the child still.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Mine got hers at 15 months. But the nurses do well with her. I'd stay clear of that nurse or get antoher office if you perfer. But accidents happen, so I wouldn't be too upset about that. Just pissed about hte wya the nurse acted. When my daughter got her first shot at the hosp, the needle came off and was sticking in her leg but all of the vax hadnt' been injected yet so she had to get the thing back together while still in DDs leg. DD barely flinched though and I didn't htink much of it. Like I said, things happen. And the nurse was very nice about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• no vaccination is 100 percent. So even with the vacc he can get chickenpox though it will cut down on the severity of it. I'd complain about the nurse to her supervisor.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2009