Have you read the Testimonium Flavianum by the historian Josephus?

Jesus of Nazareth is possibly mentioned in two passages of the work The Antiquities of the Jews by the Jewish historian Josephus, written in the late first century CE. One passage, known as the Testimonium Flavianum, discusses the career of Jesus. The authenticity of the Testimonium Flavianum has been disputed since the 17th century, and by the mid 18th century the consensus view was that it had at a minimum been altered by Christian scribes, and possibly was outright forgery.

What is your opinion? Real or fabrication? Why or why not?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:59 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Historians have cast doubt on the authenticity of the passages in Josephus's writings, not only because they are completely out of sync with the passages before and behind them as tho the mention of Jesus was inserted randomly, but because Josephus was a devout Jew and would NEVER have referred to Jesus as "the Christ, as some call him". It was too obvious that a later christian had put those passages in the work. Josephus was a historian and would never have written a fawning, awestruck vision of Jesus like that. And I don't believe for a second that he did.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No one?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes I have. When you look at things, anyone who wants to disprove anything can. You have to look at the whole picture. For instance, The Christian religion by all rights should have been disbanded before the first century. Then again in Augustine's time, and other times. Along with a few others. All the different faiths have a truth to them, The main truth is the one God. Even the Romans Greeks Indians, Pagans considered the unnamedone as being the core. Above all. They just recognised the minor deities, Because all Gods as you look to history are jealous Gods.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• People should stop all doubting about Jesus Christ. Have faith and be blessed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• OK it's comments like that, that drive people away. No wonder people don't believe. Some need proof or find it in their in their own way. I did. Yes I've read many things about sooo many different thoughts and philosophies. Blind faith can be a hindrance instead of a help.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I forgot about this, Some of Josephus writings are also thought to be written by his father or taken from things that his father wrote about it or told him.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• oldermomof5
    OK it's comments like that, that drive people away. No wonder people don't believe. Some need proof or find it in their in their own way. I did. Yes I've read many things about sooo many different thoughts and philosophies. Blind faith can be a hindrance instead of a help.

What a rude thing to say "It's comments like that." No wonder people don't believe? And you think studying about disputed things of Jesus are going to help people? Faith comes from hearing the word of God. Go hear the word of God. Read the bible. Pray. And get over yourself a little. Accusing my honest encouragement as a reason for people's sin is outrageously ignorant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Have you read Josephus? He was one of the writers that the early Christians did read. There is more out there then just the Bible. And yes to say oh just believe isn't going to cut it for some. They do need more.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• This question comes from another that she asked, about historical proof of Christ. As to why no one else wrote of him. There are historical ancient writtenings that are not Christian that do mention Him. It's just been so long since I've read them that I can't remember them off the top of head.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Anon, I am asking from a Historical point of view. I'm not interested in disputing with you if Jesus was real or fiction. I am asking if you think the Jesus Josephus wrote about was the Jesus of the bible or if you think it's a bunch of meadow muffins.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2009