Do you volunteer in your child's school?

If so, in what ways do you help out? How long do you stay for each volunteer time that you are there? How many days per week do you help out?

For ME, I volunteer (will this year anyways, with all 3 in school now) three days per week. About 4 hours per day.

While there, I might grade papers, file papers, get the Friday Folders ready to go home for the weekend, help the kids with their classwork, read them a story (in the younger class), help with Campbell Soup Labels and whatever else the teachers or office staff may ask to have help in doing.

You can volunteer in MANY ways. Even if you are a Working Mom. And it is so rewarding! For you, as well as the children that you serve.

pr0udm0m_0f_3

Asked by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 9:01 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in

• I volunteer as much as my schedule allows. My son is in middle school, so the volunteering opportunities are different than elementary school. I help run the yearly bookfair, help out at sporting events or socials or at PTA booths during parent conferences.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes, I do as often as I can. It is very rewarding. My kids love it too.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i work 50 hrs a week and have yoga 2 nights a week and baby playdate 2 times a week no time...today i got a sick baby so i got a breather day lol
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yeah I do but I'm never in the classroom while school is going on. His teacher will give me papers when I pick him up or I'll chaperone on feild trips, I'll go in while they are at PE or lunch and clean the classroom since we are coming up on flu season
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Lovebeingmomto1.....Aww! Sorry about the baby being sick. But...you can maybe help with after school (if you can leave before and get there before the kids are out) and help shuffle the car riders in to their vehicles and help get the kids on thier buses.

My hubby's aunt works, is a single parent and does this type of thing. And it takes no more than 30 minutes of your time each day that you do it.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I helped alot in preschool last year. The grade schools don't seem to be as welcoming to parents. I will be helping in the library about once a week for an hour and birthday table a few times this year. I have approached both teachers so they know I am available when ever needed, they also see me every morning and afternoon (drop off and pick up). Also I do the PFO (like the PTA).

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 3:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I was just in my DS's class today. I go in once a week for about 3 hrs in the morning. I set up science experiments that coincide with what they are learning at the time, and then I help in the classroom so that the teacher has a chance to catch up on things she needs to get done. When DD starts school I'll pick a different day to help in her class.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• yes i always have. i am my daughters homeroom mom each year. she is in 3rd grade this yr. i go on all the field trips, parties, carnivals, etc & help the teacher in class when needed.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It's hard to volunteer at my daughter's school once they pass kindergarten.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Last year my son was in a school that really encouraged the parent volunteering and they had a day care room during school hours, that helped so much so I used to all of the time... This year we are in a different school, I would love to volunteer but with a 2 year old it is really hard. I don't have anyone I trust to leave him with.
    myboyzrmyheart

Answer by myboyzrmyheart at 3:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2009