When did you start taking your toddler to the denist?

My mil and other friends are trying to tell me that I should be taking my 21 month old son to the denist now so he can get a checkup and to get use to the denist and what he does. But I was told by our denist that he is too young to come to the denist because he doesn't have all of this teeth and he will not sit still and wait until he 3 to bring him in for regualr checkup. He also said to only bring him in with us when we are getting work done so he can see the office and get to coming and also if there is a problem to bring him. So who is right my mil and friends or the denist.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• our ped recommended to take him a little after 2, but i'm sure it depends on the child and the dentist. i wouldn't worry just yet.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• they say 2-3 for first time
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My pediatrician said to wait until three.
    Meg8760

Answer by Meg8760 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I took all my kids at age 1. Though they really don't get a full cleaning, exams and xrays until 3.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Is it a children's dentist? I would look for one in your area that is used to children only - their offices are usually much more kid friendly and often they will take them before 3, at least for one visit to get used to the office and what goes on there.

Answer by missanc at 11:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• From everything I have read and from what my ped had said, its 6months after they get their first tooth OR the 1 year mark, My dentist is great, but he is a children's dentist as well as handling adults.

Now my oldest goes every 6 months (she's 19 months old) and my youngest will go when she hits the year mark
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2009