My daughter is 14 and refuses to go to school what can i do?? Please help

cburke0529

Asked by cburke0529 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• yep i did that once. my mom took me to the school and left me. i had no choice but to go. is there a reason why she doesnt want to go?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• when i did that my mom called the cops on me lol.. and they scared the hell out of me and MADE me go.. then when she went to pick me up she signed me up for after school programs just out of spite so id learn my lesson.. dont worry if you call the cops on her your not gonna get in trouble and she'll probably NEVER try to stay home again lol... i know i didnt
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Call the cops, threaten juvi. She is the kid, she doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Maybe she is being bullied?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well first find out if something is going on at school. If it's nothing and she's just being stubborn, be more stubborn. Sorry, but you are the parent
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree find out if something is going on at school and if it is get to the bottom of it, if there's nothing and she's just being a typical 14 year old not wanting to go to school. Call the school and they can send a truancy officer out to talk to her. She also has to realize that you and her both can (And will) go to jail if she doesn't go to school.

I hated school and nearly went to juvi when I was 13 and then again when I was 15 (I missed over 65 days at one point) just because I didn't like school. Thankfully I had a tough ass caseworker who pushed me to go through school and while at the time I hated her, I love her to death now. Your daughter may just need a push and realize it's serious if you don't attend school.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• pick her up put her in the car drive to school pull her out of the car walk her to class leave her there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Find out what her problem is. Then if it's a valid reason, homeschool her so she won't end up in detention or worse, with you being arrested for not making her go.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• first let her know that not going is not allowed. Find out if she's having problems with bulling or a teacher. Let her know that next time yo'll havr to cops escort her.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Call truancy department, the local police will assist. Ask them to come and get her. It will only take once. They will scare the crap out of her. I know I had to do the same thing with my son. He is doing better now.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 11:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• The problem here isn't really school, it's that you're DD is challenging your authority. You need to earn her respect and show her that you're the parent and your rules are paramount. When I was 14, or even 17 for that matter, I wouldn't have even thought that saying no to something as basic at school would have been an option.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2009