Do you think Atheists can be just as happy as those who believe in God?

If you're a believer, is your happiness dependant on your God? If you're a former believer and now an Atheist, are you happier now?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know they can be, said the happy atheist. I think there's always happiness and a feeling of freedom when you find your truth.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yup, they can be just as happy, if they want to. Happyness is a choice whether you believe in God or not
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I have always been on the fence,but I lean more toward being a Atheist. I am happy. I do not worry if I am pleasing some invisable being that is sitting in space judging everything I do. I am happy being myself. doing what I want to do. Not having to read a book of rules, that I have to go by.

Answer by louise2 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I guess. Since I'm not an Atheist,never have been,and never will be, I can't answer that with any real accuracy. However, my happiness is not DEPENDENT on God, my happiness is BECAUSE of God. Yes,I do depend on Him for all things,and He has never let me down in any way,and never will. But, I am happy because of all He does for me,all He has blessed me with,and all He has promised me in His word for the future. I can tell you that I was not happy before. I thought I was,but I know now I was drifting. Toward some really bad stuff,and was spiraling downward so bad, I would be dead now,no doubt. Since coming to Christ, my life is full, fulfilled, happy, content,and I know who and what I am in Christ,and where my life is headed. No, I'm not brainwashed, I'm blood washed.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I am religiously unaffiliated but see that atheists are free from following constraining scriptures from any book, unless, they choose to. Happiness is a loose term because there are people who believe in God that suffer terribly and therefore need to feel God's love to get through their suffering. Some people find suffering to be the key to compassion without following any particular doctrine. All individual brains differ.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 9:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Of course. Dare I say, personally speaking of course, happier in some cases. I'm probably still on the fence as well. There may or may not be a god I can't prove it either way. (Though depending on how one defines god Austin Cline can) I was a christian for many years and I knew Jesus, but have since left. And I can honestly say I am happier now than I ever was. I have found the path I am supposed to be on and it feels right.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• yes they sure can!!!!
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 9:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• YOU CAN BE JUST AS HAPPY EITHER WAY, I BELEIVE IN GOD, HIS BLESSINGS ARE VERY OBVIOUS TO ME, BELEIVING BRINGS ME A SENSE OF WHOLENESS.

Answer by older at 9:38 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Define happiness? Like someone has mentioned above. Some that believe in "God" suffering majorly. A lot of people are content with their beliefs and are truely happy. I believe maybe that the Athiest, is happy to not have a set book of rules( biblical) to strictly follow. They can go around doing what "they" think is right. So in the end, I do believe they are happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Of course atheists can be happy. Happiness can come from many different sources. The smile of a child, a day off from work, a night out with friends.

I've been on both sides, and I wouldn't say I am more or less happy than before. I was much younger and insecure when I believed, so I can't make a fair comparison.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2009