Whats up with this sleep pattern?

Every once in awhile my 8 month old daughter will sleep through the night (meaning until like 5 am) and then there are nights like last night where she is wide awake at 3 am and wants to play. I don't get it. We've tried giving her both breast milk and formula to see if she will sleep better on one of them and our conclusion is that it doesn't matter which one she has, nor does it matter how late we put her to bed. I'm at a loss, and very very tired.

pinkgemini85

Asked by pinkgemini85 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normal! Sleep patterns are purely temporary in year one.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• try a little bit of cerial.... they say it has not been proven to help them sleep but if u think about it when ur stuffed what do u want to do.... sleep right? and u can put the cerial in a bottle u just have to cut a little bit bigger hole in the nipple
    tarja

Answer by tarja at 9:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I have tried feeding her cereal before bed (not in a bottle though, I'm too afraid of her choking) and it doesn't do anything but make her extremely constipated and uncomfortable. My pediatrician told me that it wouldn't work, and I tried it anyway. Thanks for your reply though!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• it worked for me.... have u tryed fruit? they told me they were easier to digest
    tarja

Answer by tarja at 9:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• yes she has been eating fruit for 3 months now.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• oh ok how about classical music or any music?.... if uve tried that then i think ur doomed lol
    tarja

Answer by tarja at 10:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Oh God, I'm doomed lol.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• totally normal. i always tried different foods to see if it would help my son sleep better/longer, and it never did. my son woke frequently until he was about one and a half. so i know how you feel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2009