when your breastfeeding how much milk do you give your baby??

i'm gonna be a first time momma so i really don't know...

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 9:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nurse them until they stop. The only way to see if they are getting enough is to do a wet diaper count. Damp, not soaked for a total of at least 10 every 24 hours. About every 1.5 to 2 months they will go thru a growth spurt where they will nurse excessively and it will make you feel like you aren't producing enough but you are,,,they are just making you produce more for the growth spurt...remember supply and demand, the more they demand, the more you will make.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• as much as they want. your breast produce milk upon supply and demand. so you can only have as much as he/she will eat.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• whan are you suppose to switch breasts?
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 9:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• nurse on one side until baby unlatches, then burp, then offer the other one. My girl filled up on one breast so I would pump the other out and feed off of that side the next time. Some moms will tell you to switch after 10-15 inutes but you really need to empty the breast each time by nursing as the fatty part of the milk is the last to be sucked out and it's the important part.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• As much as he wanted. We did one sided feedings... so with my son he would eat from one side... he would burp and then be put back on the same side.
    We started one sided feedings because he was having poor weight gain... doing one sided feedings helps them get the rich fatty hind milk. which helps them gain weight and stay full longer.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• When i started out breastfeeding I would feed on one breast at one feeding then at the next feeding i would feed with the opposite breast and so on..
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Are you planning to pump and feed with a bottle?

If you plan to feed at the breast then you simply feed until the baby stops eating. Breastfeeding is really easy at the breast. It's always ready and always the right temperature. You simply feed on demand.

I didn't pump unless I had a dr appointment or something else that required me to leave for a couple of hours, so I'm not sure how many oz you need if you plan to use a bottle.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• There are classes you can take on breastfeeding before you give birth, which were extremely helpful to me the 1st time. They go over the benefits, length of time, switching, different holds, and pumping. I would encourage you to ask your hospital or contact your local La Leche League to see if they can give you a listing.
    What I was taught, and did, was to nurse on one side for 15-20 mins, then burp and switch (by 20 mins they had emptied the breast) for 15-20 more mins. After a couple months they got to where they could empty the breast much faster and breastfeeding got a lot quicker.

Answer by missanc at 11:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Babies know how much they need. Contact local hospitals and take a breastfeeding class (and infant first air and newborn care and any other classes that they offer)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I just nurse on demand, for how long she wants, and switch sides when one side feels noticeably fuller or gets leaky.  Babies who eat directly from the breast won't overeat (in most cases) because it's 60% harder to draw milk from a boob than it is from a bottle.  Bottlefeeding breastmilk will stretch the baby's stomach, since the bottle doesn't control the flow the way the breast does.

Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2009