Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i help my son get trhoght the death of his sister

my son is 6 his sister died 16 months ago she died at birth and he still is haveing a hard time pluse me and his dad have gotten devoriced in that time. he crys when he has to leave me or his dad, leaving him at school is a nightmare we have took him to a counsler but it dose not seem to be helpin.please tell me if you have any ideas

Answer Question

Asked by timmyzoesmommy at 9:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • i would continue with the therapy. im sorry about the loss of your daughter

    Answer by SThompson21 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • That's thats what I would say- therapy/counseling. Even if you don't "have" the money you will need to make some sacrifices where possible and get your son the help he needs. Sorry about your loss :(

    Answer by amy31308 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • Have you tried telling him that his little sister is in a better place now watching over and taking care of him. Have you told him that even though you and his father are not together that you both love him very much. Maybe sit down with him and ask him if he has any questions for you or if he is concerned about something. Maybe he just needs to get things of his chest. As a child he doesn't know how to come to you and do it on his own. I'm very sorry for your loss also.

    Answer by Jguevara at 9:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • o hun im so sorry for you and your son to be going through this
    my best advice is continue therapy for him
    good luck

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • First off I am truly sorry about your loss. Having lost 4 pregnancys I know how hard it is.
    I agree with asking him questions and reassuring him that she is watching over him. If he ever wants to talk to her all he has to do is look to the sky and she will listen to everything he has to say. Have sit down talks about it often. Get your x-husband involved if at all possible too. Let him know it is ok to miss her. That you miss her too. Be reassuring about feelings and let him know it i so ok to feel the way he does. Do continue counseling and if you do not think it is helping then find a different on. My olds went to 4 different ones before we found the right one. Not all are good at their job....He is probably scared that you are not going to come back when you leave. See if the school will allow you to stay there and work your way out overf 4 ot 6 weeks. Get a letter from the dr. stating that would be best.

    Answer by razzper at 3:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • I agree with a lot of the above. I am sorry for your loss. I think every one copes differently. Does he have playdates and does he do things that interest him a lot? Maybe keeping him busy will help. Good luck. : )

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • I am sorry for your loss. Each person copes with the grief differently. I would suggest counseling. Get some books from the library or bookstore and read to him. Let him talk about his feelings. Don't hide your feelings. He is coping with a lot right now...his siblings death and his parents divorcing...that is a lot for anyone to deal with, especially a child.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.