how do i get my son to except new partners in my life

timmyzoesmommy

Asked by timmyzoesmommy at 9:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• there is really nothing you can do. my parents divorced at a young age and i hated all my moms boyfriends. it will take time. do things to show him that he is still #1 in your life. talk to him and let him express how he feels without getting into trouble-as long as he is verbally expressing it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If I were single and started to date, they would have NOTHING to do with my children unless it was turning serious. There would be NO sleepovers when my kids were home. And if I decided to introduce the kids to him I would do it slowly and I wouldn't let my children dictate on whether I was happy with someone or not
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• New partnerS? That's confusing for me as an adult so it has to be confusing for a child. Have friends (they can understand that) or have A partner but don't have a lot of partners. That's just too much for a child to understand.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You don't. You and your new partner need to take it slowly. Do not let your new partner act like a father to your kids. Just let your partner be around the kids.

Answer by louise2 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i am refrazing the ? how do i get my son except my new partner that is female after his father has said not so nice things about gay people.
    timmyzoesmommy

Answer by timmyzoesmommy at 10:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i would have ur partner spend time woth ur son...take him to the park or movies or age aproperit stuff...dateing someone who is the same sex is confusing to a child....it doesnt help that ur ex is is bias about it i support same sex partners i have friends in ur situation what i said todo has worked for them and now they r married and their kids get along great
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It really depends on his age, but I would refer to her as a friend and keep it on that level for a long time. Once he gets to know her, he can make a decision about whether he likes her or not. My ex makes mean comments about my dh all the time, and my kids tell me "dad says Steve is a ding dong, but I don't think he is. Dad's so silly sometimes." It makes him look kinda stupid.

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If I were single and dating I would not introduce my children to my partner until I was sure the relationship was a stable one, and a serious one. I would not want my kids to get attached to someone who will not be there, or is not going to be a permanant part of our lives. I would also take it slow and not force the issue. Start out with small encounters, and then slowly work up to doing family things together.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Just saw your update--- how old is your son? Maybe you could say everyone is entitled to their own opinions/beliefs. It does not mean they are right/wrong. and then say something like "just cause daddy thinks gay people are ..(dumb)... does not mean everyone feels that way."
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Good luck mom, I am going thru the same thing after 7 yrs of marriage. My 15 yr DS does not respect my DH. I guess we keep moving along.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 1:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009