What to do if you think your child has an ear infection?

My son woke up at 2:30am and would not go back to sleep until about 4:15am. He just whined and cried! He played with his ear, but I am not sure that tears where not running into his ear. This morning he woke up at 8am whineing. and Crying again. But has no fever. and to my knowledge has not touched his ears. But he is not usually like this. So I gave him some tylenol and Benedryl.(for the runny Nose) His father was home sick yesterday from work with a headcold and sorethroat. I have had some congestion. and the little boy I watch has had a runny nose. So he might have a cold, but not alot of sympthoms? Can anyone tell me what to do to treat him, or at least releave his pain so he doesn't cry?

bethybaby

Asked by bethybaby at 9:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If he has a cold I would think that he might have some ear pain from that. I know that when I get a cold my ears sometimes hurt... but it's not an ear infection.
    I think for now I would just wait and give Tylenol and/or motrin for comfort and if things get worse or he has a fever then I would have his ears looked at.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Usually when kids have a cold they get an ear infection or drainage in the ear. I would try to soothe his cold with saline nasal drops, a suction bulb and a humidifier. If he starts to run a temp or pull on that ear it could be an ear infection. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:54 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I would bring him to the doctor.

Answer by louise2 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• if you dont mind trying a natural remedy......there is something you can get called coloital silver (sp). its safe enough that if you drink the whole bottle, you'll turn blue, thats about it. anyway its a preventative measure. if you think he might be getting sick you can put a few drops in his bottle or food. or if its his ear put a couple drops straight into his ear. drs have even said it could be used to clear up eyes its safe enough to drop right in them. its kinda pricey but lasts a looong time.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If he has a head cold he will have pressure in his ears that could cause him to grab at them. If you're concerned i'd take him to the doctor but if it was me i'd wait it out and see how he does.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• go to the doc so they can see if he needs antibiotics
    and give motrin for pain
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Take him to the doctor, in the meantime, you can get drops for the ears that will comfort the ear and lessen the pain
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Take him to the dr - my kids would have ear infections without running a fever.

Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If he is getting a cold, chances are his ear hurts even if there's not an infection. If it is an ear infection, a lot of dr.s now aren't treating them with antibiotics as readily as they used to because of the resistance the infection builds up to the drugs. Our Dr. will only prescribe something for recurring/long-lasting ear infections. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea to bring him in and have it looked at :) Whether or not it is an ear infection that is bothering him,there are homeopathic ear drops called similisan (sp?) that can be used to help ears feel better. Good Luck!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son had a history of ear infections when he was little. There were a few times they came on very early morning, and what I did was put a warm, moist washcloth on his ear (or have him put it on his pillow and lie/lay his ear on it) and that seemed to help. Then as soon as the doctors office was open I would call and get him an appointment. I also would give pain reliever for the pain.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2009