Calling All Photographers! - Which camera should I get?

My niece wants me to be her photographer at her wedding next spring. No flash allowed during the ceremony. My point and shoot camera can't handle that!

I am NOT a photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I want to learn more and would like a better camera.

Would I be lost with something like the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS?

RobynS

Asked by RobynS at 10:00 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Heres review about that camera on amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-SX10IS-Digital-Stabilized/product-reviews/B001G5ZTZO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You can go to the camera store explain your needs and they will show which ones will work and then they will let you held them so you can see which is comfortable! They were very helpful with my choice!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• www.dpreview.com :) LOVE the site :)
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 and I LOVE it. I did a lot of research and read reviews before I opted for this one. It's not the most popular camera, but rated highest in many categories by a neutral survey. My kids school won't allow flash at their events because it "distracts the students". From what? From playing "3 Blind Mice" on their recorders? LOL. The flash wouldn't reach that far anyway, and all they have are the dim stage lights in a looooong auditorium where we have to sit in the back half. This camera has a candlelight setting AND a "spotlight" setting. My sister IS a photographer, has a much more expensive camera, and is impressed as her camera doesn't have these settings. She got stuck when photgraphing a wedding reception because they dimmed the lights so low and a flash made everything look washed out.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 3:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Sorry. (cont'd)

Anyway, I've only used about 4 of the options/settings on here but I know there are TONS more. My sister found a setting on here that will take three photos at once with three different settings so you're almost guaranteed to get at least one great photo out of the three. I found mine online for $100 less than in stores WITH a camera case, cleaning kit, and tripod. I have never regretted it. I've had it for one year and 2,000 saved pics - we won't count the ones I deleted because my friend insisted she looked fat, or the pictures my kids took of the ground/wall/dolls/bathroom mirror/etc. Heh.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 3:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Wow!! Thanks for all the answers, and for providing so much detail. Awesome!! I'm in a very small town, so will have to wait until I get a chance to venture out before I can check out some cameras in person. (I do home day care, so it's hard to get out during the week).
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 5:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• With a Canon PowerShot SX10IS, you would not be lost; it has a point and shot feature in automatic mode. Plus it with be this camera, you have a professional quality camera. This camera gives with all of the feel of a DSLR without truly being a DSLR.
    Though I'd recommend the Pentax X70 12mp 24X Optical Zoom Digital Camera for even better quality.
    http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.E07770.desc.Pentax-X70-12mp-24X-Optical-Zoom-Digital-CameraShake-Reduction

By the way I have worked with both or these cameras, but I'm more of a DSLR girl myself.
    jakjasjon

Answer by jakjasjon at 4:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Come join  my group for lots of help and tips with your camera questions! Photo Mom's

SnoWhiteImages

Answer by SnoWhiteImages at 11:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009