How to control anxiety ?(panic attacks)

Ok so I started having panic attacks everyday now.I have them years before but wasn't on any meds. I'm not good at controlling them.I was wondering if anyone knew some things that help out?? thanks

mommie92808

Asked by mommie92808 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Health

• usually when i have panic attacks i like to be around someone who makes me feel safe or comfortable and i tell them im having a panic attack and ask them to help me through it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Baby powder is a calming scent that most relate to childhood. Also a daily exercise program helps you keep the extra surge of adreneline down and limit your caffiene intake.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Any particular reason you're not trying medication for it?
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• "I try that but my bf just gets mad.. "

then he is not interested in helping you...could there be some stress in your relationship that is triggering these attacks or at least leaving you more prone to having them? You may want to address that.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Honestly I have really bad anxiety too and I tried dealing with it for years by doing all different things like working out, take me time everyday, etc, but what has really helped is Medication. I know it's not everyone's first choice but it really helps. I jsut started a month ago some Prozac and it's the lowest dose and I feel way calmer and less overwhelmed. It does not make you feel like a zombie and you are still you jus not with all the anxiety. That's jsut me though. Hope I helped a little. :)
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 10:26 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I have alot of stress I just dont know how to control the attacks.The main reason I didn't want to try the meds is I didn't want them to make me look like a zombie.
    mommie92808

Answer by mommie92808 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i have had them and in the past was on meds, they did not help me much
    i learned to have control over them,
    first step is to know it is a panic attack, identifing it as one really does help
    2nd, knowing what it is, saying it in your head or out loud if you wish, "oh, this is a panic attack, it will pass, it sucks, but i always have survived them before, it should be over soon"
    3rd breathing of course, and more reaassureance to yourself that you have had these before and you always have gotten through them before
    4th when you are not having an attack, play the what if game, imagine if the worst happened, how you would deal with it, is it really probable that this will happen
    5th try to find out what is causing them, is it stress with a family member, driving when you are over whelmed, usually i found i would have when there was a problem that was out of my control, stress i could handle unless it was stress from an ...
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• stress from an issue that you do not have a right to own. you have to learn to let things go that are not in your control to fix

these attacks SUCK, but you can overcome or at least control over them, because you can not control everything in your life, but you can control these

know what they are and when they happen, know that you always survive them and it will be over soon, when you panic when it starts it gets huge, it you just kind of say oh well here is one, they can subside quickly
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Panic attacks are triggered by something. Figure out what it is and remove yourself from the situation. I've had them for years but have learned to change my environment that has the triggers. If you have to be in those environments then try desensitization practices. I have them going into new settings that have strangers so I never wanted to go to my own graduations. I had a friend who majored in psychology and wanted me at the graduation for my first degree. She had me go to where we were having the ceremony while the building was empty. She had me walk around the room and familiarize myself with all the exits and bathroom (usually my hiding place). We stayed until I felt safe. I went back again when there was staff there setting up so I could feel ok with ppl in the room. I also found my seat so I knew where to go. Then I went to the graduation. I made it through ok. Just take baby steps toward a goal

Answer by admckenzie at 11:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I highly recommend that you do not take medication. Your neuro transmitters are just lacking the amino acids they need to be able to function correctly.

Here is what you need to get and you can find most of  them at Walgreen's or a major supermarket.

5-HTP 100mg : This helps support mood.

Melatonin 1mg: This needs to me taken with the 5-HTP to help aid in the release of serotonin.

Calcium,Magnesium,Zinc : Helps aid in the transmission of nerve impulse.

B Complex: This will help enhance your nervous system function.

Taurine: Mood booster ( You may have to go to GNC or a natural food store for this)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_257/ai_n7638052

Rachael06

Answer by Rachael06 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2009