Suggestions for my DD, 15, who gets completely wiped out when she gets her period. Should I take her to an OB/GYN?

This has been going on for a year and I'm getting concerned, although I know some girls experience more cramps/tiredness, etc. than others. Last year the cramps were so bad she went to the nurse and almost passed out~she had no blood pressure~that's not a typo~none. Then they sent her to the ER for evaluation. They said it was a vasovagal reaction to the pain. This year, she's already had to come home from school due to cramps (broke out in a cold sweat in the nurse's office) and then she sleeps for 2~3 hours. She did this for 2 days in a row. I know she hates feeling this way and wants to feel better, but Tylenol/Advil is just not cutting it. If anyone else has had experience with this do you have any thoughts or suggestions?? I'm not opposed to alternative therapies, i.e., supplements/vitamins although she does take a multi now.

dflygirl7

Asked by dflygirl7 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would take her and get her birth control... but maybe not tell her it birthcontrol just something to regulate her periods so they are less painful and such. That way she doesn't think it is a free ride to have sex. but take her to the doctor definitely and then discuss your options the with doctor. It could be something serious. But I know I had lighter periods and little or no cramps when I was on bc!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• there is such a thing as severe pms and its a hormonal problem. i would take her to get checked out and see if she has low iron.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I would take her to the GYN, it could be something as simple as putting her on BC pills. I had to do that at 15, my mentrusal cramps were disableing and I would miss school because of them.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• When I was that age they put me on birth control (hormones) to help with the cramping. It was explained to me (by my mother) that it wasn't a free ride to have sex, that it was only to help with the symptoms of my cycyle. Just a thought but I'd call the doc to see if they have any suggestions. The down side to beginning periods is that they are most of the time an-ovulatory cycles (they don't ovulate) so they have a 'period' that is really their uterus being too full of fluid so it sheds. This causes massive cramping and lots of work for their body to get rid of all that excess lining.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Tylenol isn't the right thing for her anyway. Yes take her to the doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• yes take her to a OB/GYN. I was the same and did not get any help. Did get better when I had my twins.
    She should not wait tell she has kids. They may put her on the B.C.pill that is how some girls have gotten some relief.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I had horrible periods as a teen. I'd miss school several times a year on my first day of my period cause of heavy bleeding, tiredness, cramps. I had it all. I agree take her to the doctor and see your options. And also like gammie after my first kid zip. I have no cramps and I bled for like 3 days now before it was 7-9. Don't let her suffer it's treatable. I wish my mom would have taken me.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I used to get really bad when I was younger. I would cramp really bad. I mean I could of had a baby it was that bad. I'm not exaggerating. I would throw up all day from the minute that drop of blood came down. I would lay in bed for two days with a heating pad on my back the cramps were so bad. I would have a bucket by the bed because I threw up so much. I got pains up my vagina and rectum that felt like someone was sticking a knife up there. I went to the doctor and she was so stupid she told me well some women just get things. I went to another doctor and she put me on birth control. All of these things went away. It was so wonderful. I now say that birth control is the best thing in the world because I was in so much pain and it really helped me out. You should really look into it. My mom didn't want to put me on it when I was younger because of whatever reasons. I wish she had though. It would of prevented all that pain.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 10:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I would for sure take her to the gyn. She needs something that can relieve her symptoms and put both of you at ease. As far as the free ride for sex some other mom's mentioned if birth control pills are the solution, I think if explained properly she'll understand, communication is the key on that one. Regardless she needs something to help the discomfort.

I am going through something similar, they tried birth control pills which caused me more problems (partially bc I am getting older). I don't know of any other solutions that would suit her age. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes please take her in.. I experienced similar problems (Thankfully have gotten better as i've gotten older and had a child)My horrible 7-10 day heavy bleeding now is 3-4 days of moderate bleeding to light spotting.. Birth control is a big option, talk with her doctor and weigh out the pros and cons of going on the pill. I was put on Yaz ( yea, there are alot of bad warnings out about it) but to be honest it was the only thing that helped me. I suffer from PMDD and I would literally crash when I got my period (I'd pass out, cramps were horrible, mood swings were worse, etc, etc) but once my dr put me on Yaz month after month I noticed more and more of a difference.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2009