Siblings at birthday parties... invited or not?

Do you take a sibling to a birthday even if they're not on the invitation? Do you think it's rude when someone brings an uninvited sibling to a party?

If you do take siblings to parties uninvited, do you not realize that the host has to pay for each kid over a certain amount at most place, that there might not be enough food/cake/drinks for every sibling, and that there might not be a goody bag the sibling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I dont' take siblings unless I have to. Onetime I took my son to a party that my daughter was invited to, it was a skating party, BUT I paid for my son to skate and to eat.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Most of the birthday parties we go to are family affairs. If it is for a school friend, I assume it is only for the child being invited. If for some reason it were not a drop-off party and we couldn't attend without other siblings in tow, I would explain this to the parent when I RSVP'd.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:38 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• NO that is rude.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• it don't bother me when extra kids come to my kids parties. now this year i did get upset because her bio father who hasn't been around for 7 years desided to show up with 10 adults, and 6 kids that she didn't know. now if she invited a child, and there sibling came that would be fine, because she would know that kid anyway. i know i confussed myself!! lol GL
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My kids are older so I don't stay at the party with them- I drop them and pick them up. Sometimes if I have all the kids I will take the others in while I drop the child, check in with the host and then the others and I leave. When they were little and I would stay at the party, I would take only the invited child and leave the sibling at home with daddy or Grandma.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If a party is at a place where the host has to pay for additional children, I would pay for any sibbling who was not invited that I had to bring along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I'm with the others, if it costs more for extra children i'd pay for the sibling but I wouldn't make them miss out because to be honest it really isn't fair. Especially if they are younger (Like under 5 or 6 they really wouldn't understand why one was invited and not the other). Whenever i've had my son's birthday parties I am always sure to make it clear ALL siblings are invited just let me know in advance so I can be sure to have extra. Unfortunately some people make the mistake and assume that when I say siblings I mean cousins, uncles, brothers, etc etc... Now that is RUDE!
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:57 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No, I don't take siblings along unless there is no other option. If I have to either bring a sib or else not come at all, I will ask the parent if it's okay. Awhile back I took my two other kids to a party at McDonald's because my dh was working and I had no sitter- I asked the mom ahead of time if it was okay and bought the two sibs not actually invited to the party their own happy meals so they weren't an extra two meals on the mom's bill at the end of the day.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I feel it's a special day for both the birthday child and ours getting invited. I don't take our other children, then it's not a treat for the one invited. Ours understand and don't complain. And luckily our 13 yr old is old enough to stay home with the other for a couple hours. Or I just drop him off and pick him up when it's over.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I don't take the sibling to participate, but I take him because what else am I going to do with him? He will stay and play on the side with the other siblings and that's always been fine. Usually the birthday mom will offer the extra kids a cupcake or something.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009