Has anyone here or your child had the swine flu?

Have you or your child had the swine flu and an how bad was it? I had the flu last week but it was vomiting and diarrhea, not an upper respiratory thing. Is the media blowing this whole thing out of proportion? Do I keep my kids home from school now that it is in my town and I have kids under 5 at home? What are other parents doing?

stickyfingers

Asked by stickyfingers at 10:55 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter had N1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever, a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose.

It is a virus! You catch a virus by coming in contact with it This is why handwashing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?

You can also adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009