Have you or your child had the swine flu?

Have you or your child had the swine flu and an how bad was it? I had the flu last week but it was vomiting and diarrhea, not an upper respiratory thing. Is the media blowing this whole thing out of proportion? Do I keep my kids home from school now that it is in my town and I have kids under 5 at home? What are other parents doing?

stickyfingers

Asked by stickyfingers at 10:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Health

• if you had the flu, it was most likely the swine flu. it doesnt all have to be upper respitory problems. my son had it really bad. and hes doing great today as if nothing happened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My little ones also were throwing up and so was my husband all at different times. It didnt last a week or anything like I am hearing so I was just worried that it was something else. It only lasted like 12 hours or so.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 11:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I had it and lasted for a week. The cough is still going.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• did you have a fever?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 11:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my neighbor had it, shes fine. she had a fever, diareah, cough, sore throat and shes doing better. this was about 5 days ago. shes going back to work monday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If you had something that only lasted 12 hours chances are it wasn't any sort of flu.. probably just a stomach bug. The swine flu is just like the regular flu and lasts anywhere from 3 days up to 2 weeks. Unless you go to your doctor and are tested and confirmed to have swine flu you can't really say that's what it was.

I haven't had it *knock on wood* and neither had my son but it's starting to go around my sons preschool soooo.. Who knows. I just plan on stocking up on a ton of popsicles, tylenol, kleenex and lysol spray.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• that was supposed to say 5 days not 3 days
    KalebsMommee

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever, a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose.

It is a virus! You catch a virus by coming in contact with it This is why handwashing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?

You can also adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2009