Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Gave babyfood with allergen in it!

I feel HORRIBLE. My (12m) son is allergic to apples (as learned from a scratch test at 7m; he'd never broken out in hives or anything before we found out.) He had about 2oz of Gerber Pears & Oatmeal this a.m. and I noticed on the label it has APPLE JUICE in it. This was about an hour and a half ago - he's shown no reaction or symptoms of discomfort and is behaving as usual.
I'm usually so anal about reading labels; I don't know how I missed this. I've called and left a message for the nurse at the ped's office. Should I give him anything? He's napping right now...

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

Answers (4)
  • Call the doc and see how much benedryl you can give if he does have a reaction to it that way you are prepared.
    Jademom07

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • yes i would be prepared but wouldnt give anything "just in case" he may have grown out of this allergy in the last 5 months. and im sure its just a trace amount he got. if he didnt have a reaction within an hour then anything that happens will be minor...maybe a small rash which like said a lil benadryl will fix.
    AmandaN1

    Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • Keep an eye on him while you wait for the nurse to get back to. It would be good to know how much Benadryl you can give just in case something happens later, but if there's been no reaction so far you're probably in the clear. The only thing that might still happen that I can think of is that he gets a mild case of diarrhea and a diaper rash. Chances are that there were only trace amounts of juice in that food, and it's also a possibility that he has grown out of that allergy (my nephew was allergic to peas as an infant - when he was 2 we learned that he'd been getting them at daycare despite them knowing about the allergy and had never had a reaction. . . . we'll never know when they stopped affecting him).
    Hope everything works out!!
    TiffanyMarie80

    Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • Seeing he isn't having a reaction, I wouldn't do anything. Do NOT give him anything "just in case". Kids outgrow allergies or the allergy skin tests say a child is allergic and they may not. My niece had an allergy test and it said she is allergic to eggs and has NEVER had a reaction to eggs and eats them all the time. Have him retested. He also may have an intolerance and not an actual allergy, which means he can tolerate small amounts of the food with no reaction.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN