HELP! Gave food with allergen

I feel HORRIBLE. My (12m) son is allergic to apples (as learned from a scratch test at 7m; he'd never broken out in hives or anything before we found out.) He had about 2oz of Gerber Pears & Oatmeal this a.m. and I noticed on the label it has APPLE JUICE in it. This was about an hour and a half ago - he's shown no reaction or symptoms of discomfort and is behaving as usual.
I'm usually so anal about reading labels; I don't know how I missed this. I've called and left a message for the nurse at the ped's office. Should I give him anything? He's napping right now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just watch him. Allergies can change over time and an infant allergy test can be wrong or change over time. It's also possible it's a very mild allergy and that the small amount of juice actually won't affect him. But keep an eye out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Just watch to make sure that he's still breathing good, but I think if he was goin to have a reaction it would have already happened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If he hasnt' had a reaction then he probably won't
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son had the same issue with apples/apple juice when he was a infant. He was allergic, confirmed by scratch test. Most store brand baby foods have apples in them.... So i made my own. But At one year I took him to a sitter and they gave him apple juice and he has not had a reaction. My ped said it is something that they can persay "grow out" of. Just make sure you keep a careful watch over your child, and make sure you get in contact with the dr!
    jennjoe

Answer by jennjoe at 11:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• How or why did you get scratch tests at such an early age for your kids? I have been trying to convince our Ped to get a food allergy and normal allergy test done for our son and 2 of them in the office told me basically, No, they aren't accurate, they won't give me good results... etc.. He cried all the time, had tummy upset, no stools , fevers etc and they still didn't think he needed them - even after we realized on our own he couldn't drink whole milk or have cheese
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If his reaction is anything like my son's reaction to citrus fruits...you'll know it tomorrow when you change the diaper. ICK!!!!

Just watch him. You don't know what kind of a reaction (if any) that he will have. Shoot...with a scratch test, if he has sensitive skin, it could have just been the contact with the needle for all they know. He could have hives, he could start to have difficulty breathing (doubtful though for the first time), he could have the NASTIEST diarrhea you've ever seen....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009