What can cause gritty poop?

When I changed my 17 month old diaper his poop was very gritty, like sand. He has had a runny nose and cough. I have been trying to get him to drink a lot of fluids but do you think he needs more or could it be something else?

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lol! I never thought anything of that. If it's any comfort, my kids get that often. Especially my 2 year old.

Answer by micheledo at 11:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It's common in toddlers - could be from cheerios or another grain, depending on what you fed them recently. No need for concern.

Answer by missanc at 11:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i'd call the doc jsut in case, it could be that he's getting dehydrated or a sign of a gi problem

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• cheerios

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Don't know, but my son gets it some times...and he rarely eats Cheerios.

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son's poop also gets like that! I never really gave it much thought though besides getting irritated because it's hard to wipe off without actually having to wash his butt with soap and water. I try to remember what he ate but he usually eats the same foods, he doesn't try new things often.

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Probably just something he ate. I have also seen kids who eat sand (and lots do) have poop that comes out sandy.

Answer by kiki2780 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009