Help Plz, Social Security Survivor Benefits for my daughter?!!!??

I really need some help and advice and will appreciate ANYBODY that helps me or points me in the right direction. My daughters biological father passed when I was 5 months pregnant, and things have been tough. I was just told today that my daughter doesn't qualify for Survivor Benefits because 'Brandon' didn't work "LONG ENOUGH" Which can't be right? But I was wondering if there ANYTHING else that is offered for children with a deceased parent? Or should I still prosue this and see if this lady was wrong about her not being able to collect. It just doesn't seem right because I know he worked and if he paid taxes which I think he did then she should be entilted to something, even if he didn't pay anything. I would think she would be entitled? Anybody please help me here... I'm struggling with this bad.. and have been trying for 3 years now...I even had a paternity test done to prove he is her father.... Thanks for reading

Briana_N_Me06

Asked by Briana_N_Me06 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow... That doesn't seem right. I have only worked for a short period of time and if something happened to me my kids would get like $200.00 a month I know it's not much. I would talk to someone else.

You know those letters you get from SSI right around your birthday tell how much you have payed in and how much your benefits would be that's how I know how much my kids would get
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It all depends on how many credits he earned while working. It depends on how long he worked, how much he earned and his age. You have to have a certain number in order to be eligible to collect benefits. Check the SSA website, there should be some info there.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10072.html
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Thanks so much for your help... I know it doesn't seem right at all does it... Really isn't fair, I mean I do work but I live CALAIS MAINE.. Talk about poverty... but THANKS SO MUCH!!!
    Briana_N_Me06

Answer by Briana_N_Me06 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2009