How do you teach abc's and 123's?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dh got our dd some alphabet flash cards and some foam letters where she can math up the foam letter with the right card, it worked :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You can go to PBS.ORG and get all kinds of printables of the ABC's and 123's,and shapes. That's what I did with our kids, we did one a week, kind of a theme with a color, letter and a shape. Then I printed off pages that they could trace over to get the feel of how to make the shapes, letters etc. I also did that with their names. I started with capital letters. Have fun with it, use things in the house, car etc..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• sing silly songs. Make everything into numbers. Ex. We use 1 fork at dinner. We have two eyes. there are three pencils. I did have trouble with ABCs too.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i tried the cards with my son and sang to him and did eveything i could think of...he watched sesame street and boom he got it....do the flashcards and activities, but or some reason they may really get it if they SEE it on a educational show. try it, they get it on their own when they ready
    babygirlpj2007

Answer by babygirlpj2007 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I draw the numbers letters out as dots and she connects the dots until it looks solid, and she thinks she is really doing it all herself, ..............also......

I have her color two three or four things that look the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• starfall.com, fisherprice.com ,pbskids.org . many ways. printables games, flashcards. my dd is 30 mts and knows her alphabet and can recongnized most letters. she knows all her shpaes, most of her colors and we are working on numbers
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Play with building blocks (the ones with the numbers and letters on them). As you ask for a block, ask for the "blue A block" or whatever.

They learn best through play, when they're having fun.

Label everything. Everything begins with a letter, there is a certain number of that thing, and it is a certain color (well, okay...usually, just use the dominant color LOL)

Read books, signs, words, sentences, phrases.....just read.

Point out numbers on signs when you're out walking. (letters too)

Some pick it up easier than others. Don't sweat it. They aren't even expected to know those things going into preschool. If they do, it's a bonus. (unless they're like my 3 year old and are doing some reading, sounding out of words, writing and simple math...then it's a challenge to keep them challenged! )
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2009