Would you find a new day care? (For working moms please, and no bashing).

For those of you who believe taking your kid to day care is a mortal sin, please just ignore this question. For those of you who DO take your kids to day care, would this warrant you finding a new place for them? My DD goes to a licensed in home dc, which I actually really like. I love the provider & her assistant. My DH & I have pretty flexible schedules & most of the time she just goes to dc three times a week for like 4 hours. Well my provider has asked us 10 or so times in the last 10 months to pick up my DD early or drop her off late to accomodate her schedule, she closes on EVERY holiday (even ones I don't get off-working at a local govern. that is closed on all national holidays), & then she closed for the week because she was sick. On top of it, she called to have all parents check their kids because a mom found lice. I am getting frustrated, should I find a new day care or is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• thats just too much time. Even if both of your jobs are flexible. Eventually it coudl take a toll on them also. Sounds like shes taking advantage of you - its not YOUR fault she doesn't want to pay her assitant for 1 kid??!!!!! I would start looking for another, give yourself time to find the perfect one and go with that one!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i'd find a daycare with a set schedule for you to pick up your kids at your conviencence
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes... I would find another center that is more accommodating to you and your schedule
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well closing because she is sick is normal. For the pick ups and drop offs it would depend on what the reasons are. Are they things she absolutely cannot do another time? Is she flexible if you have to drop off your DD a bit early or pick her up a bit late? If so then I'd say stick with her. It is so hard to find a daycare that's good with a person you trust, so I think this is #1.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 12:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• When my son was in Daycare years ago I had a similiar problem and I just had to move him. My job was not flexible at all and it caused a great deal of problems. She isn't respecting her clients as far as I'm concerned. Everyone gets sick, I get it. But the pick up, drop off early and every single holiday is going a little far.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• OP Here: She is pretty flexible if I need to pick her up or drop her off late/early, but like when she wants us to come late or pick her up early, it is normally because she is "one kid over" or whatever and wants us to pick her up so she doesn' t have to pay her assistant for one kid. Which I mean, I understand, it just makes me mad that since I am like the only one there who has a DH and most of them are single moms that any time this happens she always wants us to pick up our kid. I think at least if she is going to do this she needs to rotate or whatever, have other people get off work early or whatever, that would be like everyone has to do it once or twice a year. Rather than us doing it 10-15 times a year (which I don't think is fair). I'm just frustrated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• OP again: Oh, and another thing is that she will close EXTRA for Holidays, like she will take a week off at Christmas, and a week of during the summer like for Memorial Day or whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes, I would. The lack of set hours would drive me crazy. I would expect her to set her schedule around the hours she offers child care as much as possible. I put my children in a regular day care center because I was afraid I would have these sort of problems with an individual / in-home situation. I understand some individual/in-home providers are more consistent than what you have described. You could talk to the provider you use now and ask her if she can change, but I suspect she wouldn't stick with it even if she did try for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Op AGAIN: One more thing! She is supposed to be open 24/7!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Another thought is maybe you could find a back up for holidays and provider sick days, and also talk to her about rotating who she calls for pick up when she is over. It really isn't fair for her to expect you to always be the one - doesn't matter that the other moms are single. Ask her if she could make it a policy and let all her parents know that they will be included in the rotation. Or, tell her you can't pick up your child and ask her to call another parent the next time she calls you. Tell her that your job does not allow you to take off early as often as she asks you to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009