do your kids get the free lunches?

my son isn't in school yet but i think its cool that they do that for people who really need the help, school lunch is expensive and they shouldn't have to feel left out because their parents can't afford it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No. I do not qualify.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 12:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son gets free breakfast and lunch plus 2 snacks at his preschool but chances are he won't qualify for free lunches at school when he starts next year. The qualifications are so insane.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes. My son gets free breakfast and lunch. The lunch program in his school either qualifies your kid for FREE or REDUCED. Reduced = you get to pay 0.40 cents per lunch. If you don't qualify for a free lunch, it cost $2.50/lunch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My daughter's entire middle school gets free breakfast and lunch. No forms, no guidelines. If you're a student you eat for free. They figure if they do it for all the kids it keeps the ones who would qualify from being picked on or singled out.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No. I dont get it either. But the price sheet that was sent home said it was only $1.40 for lunch. I dont think that is expensive. I'm glad they have the program though, b/c some of those children, it may be the only meal they get for the day! I feel so bad for them. My son's school-everyone gets free breakfast though.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My kids qualify for reduced lunch (and breakfast if they wanted), it's .40. Nobody else knows that they get it because all they do is tell the "cashier" at the end of the cafeteria line their lunch number - and all kids have a lunch number instead of money, parents put money in the account at the beginning of the year and it's automatically deducted as the kids use it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Oh - for a family of 6, which is us we would have to make 60,000 plus in order to not qualify, and we don't make near that.

Answer by missanc at 1:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son qualifies for free breakfast and lunch. At his school, breakfast is $1 and lunch is $1.75. Reduced would have been 25 cents per meal (and I would have been THRILLED with that!) I'm very grateful for the free meals this year, and hope to not need them next year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• "Nobody else knows that they get it because all they do is tell the "cashier" at the end of the cafeteria line their lunch number"

It was the same way when I was in school but students still found out who had free/reduced lunches and who didn't and some people were mean enough to joke the kids about it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son gets reduced breakfast and lunch. I pay 70 cents a day for both meals. They are very good about keeping it a 'secret' in our school system. Everyone reduced or not does a meal pay system online (or sends money tot he school) the money is put into the student account. at meal time the cashier pulls up the class in the register and then clicks on the student and it is automatically deducted form the account. the numbers are between me and the school. Even the cashiers don't know anything other than if the account is 'low' or 'empty' it comes up with a warning and a note is sent home. So if anyone does know it's because my son has said so...but honestly I don't think he even knows...he's 5.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2009