About breastfeeding, how often do you need to pump?

I've heard all the pros about breastfeeding, but am still not sure about the reality. I would be working full time away from home, so I would store/freeze milk, but would I still need to pump throughout the day while at work, and how often? Thanks.

JULESY113

Asked by JULESY113 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies usually need to breastfeed for every 3-4 hours depends on their stomach. If you're going to work and want to breatfeed longer, you'll have to at least pump every 3-4 hours which will be at least 2-3 times when you're at work. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you had some other question about breastfeeding.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Personally, I pump every two hours when I am away from my dd. I need to keep up my supply because I don't want to have to use formula. There is nothing wrong with formula, but I personally prefer not to use it.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• baby needs 1 oz forevery hour you are gone. best way is to nurse on on seide while you pump the other side. your first pump of the morning is the best one, how often ever 2 - 3 hrs about 10-15mts it depends on your body and hopw well you respond to the pump
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• When I started working (3 times a week-10 1/2 hour shifts) I pumped after baby ate in the morning, twice at work and after his last meal before bedtime. I would pump before bedtime and/or in the morning if I didn't have to work. I have been back at work for about a month and recently my LO stopped taking the breast. My pedi says he simply prefers the quicker satisfaction of the bottle (my son is 4 1/2 mo). Now I have to pump 4-5 times a day (my LO will still take the breast at night). While I'm at work my son drinks mixed bottles 2/3 BM and 1/3 formula as my supply is way down no matter what I do. It is tough, but I think it's worth it. My LO is still getting much of the benefits of BM and we are still saving money on formula.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I found that pumping on each break worked. One session for every three hours away.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009