putting our 2 yr old in daycare part time, I feel SO guilty

she will be there a days a week for a few hours each day. We think she will love it and it will be good for her socially. We visited today, she cried when we had to leave, she will not miss me, I will miss her, but I know it will be great for her.

I am feeling guilty not because I am putting her there and she will not love it, but because she is such a handful and I do not think the daycare workers will know what hit them! I think there is a learning curve when new toddlers come in, they will learn to follow the rules, sit down, get in line, put toys away etc, but my daughter is so full of energy, I just hope that I am surprised at her progress after a few weeks.
please say a little prayer for her daycare teachers, they will need extra patience when our daughter invades and takes over their room.

can a daycare ask you to remove your child if they are just too much to handle (not bad just extremely active)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow I almost could have written this exact same thing! I just put my 2 year old in pre school half day 5 days a week. She's such a handful but so far she is thriving in this environment and the teachers all love her. It's exactly what she needed.

I feel guilty because I stay home and I have a 4 month old as well but I'm trying to see it as having more one on one bonding time with my new daughter (then of course that makes me feel guilty all over again).

Anyway, I don't know how to tell you to get over the guilt but my DD love going to school sooooo much. Best thing I ever did for her I think.

Oh and as to progress, she went from using 3-5 word sentences to 8-10 word sentences in all of about 2 weeks. You know, if that's any indication :)

It gets easier as the days go by though so hang in there :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 1:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I think you'll be surprised. Kids that age quickly pick up on doing what everyone else is doing. It's really funny when they start doing some of it at home and you realize, "Oh, they must have learned this at school". It may take a while since she will only be there a few hours each week, but it will happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Is this your first child? If it is, then know that ALL 2 year olds are active. Its how they learn. Even if your daughter is incredibly active, the daycare teachers have either seen worse, or will be confronted with a challenge that will better their teaching capabilites.
    Dont feel sorry for them, you would not want other parents to feel sorry for you. Just as you know what a pleasant child and blessing your daughter is, her teachers will soon arrive to the same conclusion. They will love her and want her to succeed just as you do.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Why do you say you feel guilty? You made your decision and you thought that was good for her, didn't you?
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I don't think you understand what the teachers go through. A "handfull" is nothing! Where my mom worked, they had a child that would beat up the kids and teachers. I mean, fight fights, kicking, biting. They could not control him and had to have him removed from the center (4 years old!!). So you're child probably won't be as big of a problem as you might think. :) Also, many kids behave better at day care because they follow the other kids, the schedule, and all the running around they do. So don't be surpised if they talk about what a little angel she is, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• yes, it will be great for her, but I feel guilty because she is a handful and yes, people feel sorry for me when they see who out of control she can be. I have been asked so many times "what is wrong with her" and I say that "she is just expressing herself", and sometimes I say back to them "she is two" and I say nothing else.

I will not feel guilty, I will decide to feel grateful for the daycare workers that will help my daughter control her outburts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• aww dont worry momma. My 2 year old goes to day care 2 days a week and i NEVER thought he would adapt so quickly. He is also full of energy, getting into everything, etc. But like PP said they adapt quick. Dont stress. Be happy for your LO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2009