Honestly, how do you get a 2yr to eat?

My little girl won't seem to eat anything that is new. What are some ideas for snacks? How can I convince her to eat? She won't even eat vegetables or meats like chicken or turkey...Please any advice is appreciated!

chela17

Asked by chela17 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know. My DD survives on air it seems. I will say though, now that she's inching closer to 3 she has at least started tasting a few new things. Still can't get her to eat a proper meal but it seems to be improving a bite at a time.

Just keep offering her things and either she eats it or she doesn't. My guess is that curiosity will get the better of her eventually.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• First, humans don't need meat. Next, it is normal for kids to go through picky stages (known as air-o-tarian). Make sure she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated. Keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually they will get eaten. Here are some suggestions:

the frozens: peas, corn blueberries
    kiwi - lots of potassium, fiber and vitamin C
    dips: hummus with vegetables (carrots, jicama, cucumber, etc.) and pita chips; fruit and yogurt; whole wheat pasta and steamed vegetables with peanut sauce, cheese sauce or marinara
    cubes of tofu, avocado and baked sweet potato

Answer by rkoloms at 1:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• We use smoothies for our bird eating son..lol!!you can do fruit and veggies and just mix either yogurt or frozen ice cream and he thinks its a treat
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• LMAO I BEEN TRYING TO FIGURED THAT OUT FOR MTS!! LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET SOMETHING GOOD
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Try experimenting with foods of different textures and mild vs strong flavors. I discovered our 2 yr old likes strong flavors so spicy brown mustard on hotdogs works like a charm! Keep offering up veggies and meats but try giving them first when she's hungriest. Give only a bite or two, Let her pick things from your plate. I can be the same thing you're offering her but getting "Mommy's food" sometimes helps. Dairy and whole grains can help fill in protein while meats are on the "icky" list.. I try not to give a morning snack because he'll eat a better lunch. If he does get a snack, I try for fruits or veggies. otherwise they'll hold out for snacks because they know they can get something better! Afternoon snacks are often the same as lunch if he didn't eat it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• *sigh* i can't get much to work either. sometimes he will eat a lot, and a variety. and some days he won't eat anything. i try to offer a variety of healthy foods. i try sprinkled cheese. tried dips. he likes these things but sometimes they work sometimes they wont. doctors says it's normal and fine but of course it's still frustrating.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2009