Help! 2 year old has been vrying at bedtime for the past few days...

My son has always had a hard time going down at bedtime. He used to cry went I would put him down, but he would stop before I even got to my bedroom. He has been great for over a month now. He does okay at nap time. He has been crying the past few nights when I put him down. He cried for about 10-15 minutes while I was showering last night. When I mean crying, I mean CRYING. I'm not sure what to do, it's only a night that he does this. Anyone have any tips on what I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he have all of his teeth or is is possible he is getting molars? My DD does this and has ALWAYS been great at bed time, but recently since she is getting her molars she gets super fussy at bed time.. Just a thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son has been like this since forever. We HAD to use CIO for him cause there really wasn't another option. I swear he hates to sleep, One thing I have started doing the past 2 weeks and its been noticablely better is preparing him ahead of time : Like this "max, in 5 minutes its time to put your pj's on and go to bed" "max, in 2 mintues its time to put your pj's on and go to bed" " " ok buddy, mommy's going to get your pj's for bedtime " I get him in his Pj's and I say" Ok, give daddy hug and kiss and we are going to bed" he does and we head to his room, we read his books and then once books are done I look at him and say " now you get to sleep in your bed, look who's in there - elmo gets to sleep with you, your beaver gets to sleep with you OH and your blue blanket is in there too you get to sleep with and in the morning when you get up mommy will come in and get you" contd'l below
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• its helped a ton actually... like 85% we can actually go cry free or 2-3 minutes of crying after I leave which is HUGE for max! We also use this at the park " ok Max, we are leaving in 5 minutes, ok this is the last time down the big green slide and we are heading home" ok that was it, now lets run to the stroller" I think with him he hated when things were "all of a sudden" to him. We use this technique more and more with things and it lessed the tantrums too.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree with maxsmom on making sure he has a standard routine and plenty of warning about bedtime. We ran into the same problem with our son at about the same age. He would go down for naps but not at night . In our case, the problem was that he wasn't really tired yet and not ready to sleep. By playing a little with length of nap and amount of activity in the afternoon, we found a combination that worked. He naps from 1 to 2:30 then goes into his room for books and a little rocking around 7:45 into bed at 8:00. He still protests a little sometimes but it's less than a minute. If I know we're going to be inside all day, I sometimes skip his nap because I know he'll be tough to get down otherwise. He's old enough now to be able to get through without a nap some days.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree that a set routine helps. My 2 year old will do this when he naps during the day. He just can't handle having a nap anymore. I miss the naps. LOL
    grouchymama

Answer by grouchymama at 3:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009