My son gaggs himself and he does it for attention I don't know what to do hes been since he was about 11months old and he going to be 2. Sometimes he does until he throws up.

karisma91331

Asked by karisma91331 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• and you havent talked to his pedi yet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my son went through this for a good six months - starting about 1. Is it when he's eating only? I noticed with my son it was more a textural issue when he was eating and when he did it when he wasn't it was more during teething periods! Is that what could be going on? is it all the time like daily or here and there?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• sometimes its an attn grabber too. we had a boy at a daycare who would do it to get out of the high chair or swing bc he didnt like being cooped up. so he threw up we had to get him out to clean it. it doesnt always have to be a health issue. kids are curious and maybe its funny to him that he came make his food come back up. as gross as that sounds, kids do it. so i would just try to see what is happening at the time he starts doing it. if you can spot a routine maybe you can change it before he gets to the gagging himself point.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my son used to do this all the time. mostly when he was crying. and i think it was just for attention. i just reminded him to keep his hands out of his mouth.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 3:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Mine is doing this but with a slight cough like she has a tickle in her throat. This has been going on for about 4 mos. I can't stand it. It will happen when we are eating or when she is crying. I have to clean my carpets and the high chair constantly. If anyone knows how to make this stop please let me know.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Ugh. My daughter has been doing this for quite some time. Granted it has gotten much less frequent. She does it in her carseat when we can't do anything about it. As hard as it can be, we do not acknowledge it at all. She can gag until she actually throws up, but we do nothing. Say nothing. Don't act like anything is different. It's purely for attention with us. It's helped since we've taken this approach. I think eventually they grow out of it. Hang in there and don't lose your cool.
    xiemoon

Answer by xiemoon at 10:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i tell my 18 month old to stop at the dinner table so he does which is how i know hes doing it on purpose. in the car when he does it i clean it and keep going with what we were doing. i almost let that stop me from going to church but we went anyway and were just a little late. my 4 yr old used to do it too.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 3:06 AM on Sep. 11, 2009