Double standard in texas schools?

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/09/09/Obama-banned-Bush-on-field-trip-calendar/UPI-30431252513426/

Obama banned; Bush on field trip calendar

FORT WORTH, Texas, Sept. 9 (UPI) -- A Texas school district that banned President Obama's speech in classrooms says it will bus 500 students to see former President George W. Bush speak.

Whats really behind this? Favoritism? Racism?
What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds typically republican to me. Say one thing, do another. (You know, like tout family values while cheating on your wife, voting to reduce Medicare until it is convenient to support it, brag about the sanctity of marriage while propositioning cops in a men's restroom). Of course it will be defended--football is an American past time. Children shouldn't be denied access to an institution (I am speaking of the ill-behaved, over-paid players) that has nothing to do with learning, being respectful or taking personal responsibility.  At least they are consistent in their hypocrisy and blind hatred of anything Obama.  It is sad, really!

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 11:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Same thing I thought when this was asked last night. The Dallas field trip has been planned for 5 months, the parents have advance notice, and the kids can't go without parental permission. Obama's speech was sprung last minute, with little advance notice, and parents were not informed or consulted.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Ditto NP!
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Hell no, When will you people realize Bush isn't President anymore....
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Respecting parents' rights is what this was always about.

Looks like Texas understands how to do that !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• One is the President, one is not. Apples and oranges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• They are not going to see Bush speak, they are going to see the new stadium, which is a very big deal. Famous football players will also be there speaking as well. Bush's speech will be only a small part of the dedication and event.

AND parents get a choice whether their kids can go or not.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• They should have had the OPTION to hear the President speak.

Don't give me that 5 month crap. They are going to a FOOTBALL ARENA..Educational? NO! and yet they will WASTE an entire school day for that and NOT 20 mins for the POTUS speech...Priorities??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Sometimes I really miss Texas.......

Maybe I is hard for some people to understand how Texans feel about their football.

Besides, I would rather my kids hear George, see the awesome new stadium and meet some football players than listen to Obama. In our house the parents deliver the "stay in school" speech.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Don't give me that 5 month crap. They are going to a FOOTBALL ARENA..Educational? NO! and yet they will WASTE an entire school day for that and NOT 20 mins for the POTUS speech...Priorities??

But the difference is that this is a field trip that requires parental consent. So the parent is responsible for making the decision if their child gets the privilege of going on a field trip and missing instructional time in a classroom. Whether the field trip is educational, I couldn't attest to.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2009