At what age did you take away the pacifier and what techinique did you use?

My son is 15 months and can only have it when he is in his pjs ready for bed. Not any other time. But there have been a few times when he loses it in the middle of the night and will wake up crying becuase he can't find it in the bed, or at least that is my guess as to why he is waking up becuase normally he sleeps right thru the night.

MommaB0334

Asked by MommaB0334 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Technique...just took it away.

13 months
    10 months
    4 months
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son is the same way!!! He'll freak in the middle of the night! If he drops it out of the crib I just let it happen. I do not go in there. He cries it out. He did it last night. Cried for 25 minutes and than fell asleep without it. I haven't tried to put him to bed without it yet. I am just going to not give it to him and let him cry it out. I do not know what else to do.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My DD was so attached to hers, she got rid of it at 2, we told her we were not buying anymore and if she lost them that was it. She lost the last 2 she had in the same day and we didn't replace them, she cried the first day, asked for it the second day and was over it by the third!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 1:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Age 2 and had my DS throw it away cuz we had been talking about how much of a big boy he was. He never said anything else about it. Didn't allow my DD to have one.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• We just plain took it away a few months before he turned 2. Prior to that he was only allowed to have it at bedtime in the bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• 5 mos and cold turkey. She would wake up and scream if she lost it. We substituted with loveys. I used 5 loveys b/c we had 5 pacis. The loveys aren't all the same that way if one is lost it won"t be a big deal. It will be rough the first few nights if you go cold turkey. I wouldn't give it to him but maybe leave it in the crib and he can get it if he wants it and if it falls out at night I wouldn't go give it back. I wish you luck. Taking the paci away was the worst week we have ever had.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I did it cold turkey the same day I gave them a cup to drink out of over a bottle. Eldest wasn't a pacifier baby, but second child was 9 months, third child was 7 months and fourth child was also 7 months.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• DD was 10 months, I bought a house so now she has her own room, first night in the house i was up every hour to re nuk her ( could have been a new place as well) i took it the next day cold turkey, first night was hard but eventually went to bed, next day didnt bother her at all.
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 9:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009