Foster Parents is this True.

I've read that CPS workers will send a child back to a parent that purposely physically abused them such as burning them with hot water or beating them so bad they ended up in the hospital. Is that true? Do they really do that? Have you heard of a time when someone did that? Did the children go back because the allegations were not substantiated or did the social worker think the parent deserved another chance.

funnygirlecu

Asked by funnygirlecu at 1:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Adoption

• What do you mean, you've read.... Like on CafeMom or on the web or some source that you are specifically asking about. There are many variables and I don't want to answer your question by saying that it never happens or that is could or has happened. Such as, perhaps they have found that the burn was an accident, a child who was accidently but not routinely left unsupervised. I beating so bad that they ended up in the hospital may have been by a SO that the mother decided to ditch in order to keep her child, and after parenting classes, counseling, showing stability and the ability to nurture, etc. I would also like to say that mistakes can never happen, but they have and they do happen. Sometimes it's a matter of miscommunication between workers. I would like to know more.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I read on another foster parent forum that a child went back to a mom who purposely broke her child's arm and I just wanted to know if they send children back to parent's who purposely break their arms. Just asking out of curiosity. Not trying to start a fight or anything.
    funnygirlecu

Answer by funnygirlecu at 2:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Goodness! (Didn't think you wanted to "fight", lol, it could be any number of things.) It's terrible when things like that happen. Since I don't know the details, I would say that it could be a matter of time before the child is back in care. Sometimes the laws are not written or enforced in a manner that would guarantee safety for every child who has been abused. I am sorry for the child and the foster parent. I would imagine that the caseworkers' hands were tied. I have worked with many who are "Mama Bears" and do everything in their power to protect the children. There are some who aren't as diligent, but then again, it could have been the judge, guardian ad litem, or other things to consider as well. One thing I know is, that it is frustrating when the very kids who are supposed to be removed for their own safety are returned too early or at all. For the most part, I have seen some success stories, but they are too few.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It is certainly true that there are horror stories connected to foster care and the children being sent back to unsafe environments but in my experience the workers were always genuinely doing what they thought was best at the time. Laws have changed also. They can't allow foster children to stay in foster care indefinitely which gives caseworkers the right to seek TPR if there has been no change in the safety of the children's original home in a certain amount of time.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well yes this happens, all the time. The foster care system sucks. I am a foster parent and have also been a worker. There are new laws in place it is a federal law called ASFA. It says kids that are in custody 15 out of 22 months can go to termination and put up for adoption. However that doesn't mean that always happens. We have had a child for 34 months and he still isn't legally up for adoption. We have had to hire an attorney to get things turned around. Also we have had another child for 13 months and we are adopting him and should finalize in December, however he came into custody at 4 months old due to medical neglect. He was a failure to thrive baby and needed medicine for his thyroid. At the court hearing that would have kept him in custody the state didn't have the right witnesses. So he was sent back to the parents. A month or two later he was taken back out when he was used as a weapon in a domestic fight.
    shawnag1

Answer by shawnag1 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• shawnaq1-*snip* At the court hearing that would have kept him in custody the state didn't have the right witnesses. So he was sent back to the parents. A month or two later he was taken back out when he was used as a weapon in a domestic fight.

That is HORRIBLE! I am glad that he came back to you.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:44 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My daughter Sabrina's foster parents did everything they could to seperate Sabrina from us, and CPS did everything they could to tear our family apart, even though we did everything CPS wanted us to do, and in fact the original charges against us of "neglect" were overturned on appeal! For this reason, I have a very negative view of CPS and the foster care system, I think there is a lot of corruption.
    NancyHey

Answer by NancyHey at 3:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009