Anyone else scared?

I have a 3 1/2 months old and two toddlers and it has gotten to where I am scared to take them out in public because of all the illness around. What can I do to get over this fear, I know they have to go out some. I sanitize and wash their hands often but what else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• You have to just realize that the germs are out there and they will pick them up no matter where you go or what you do. You could go to a relatives house, but that relative could have picked up icky germs elsewhere... you just never know. Just wash hands often and keep em safe. Going out and coming in contact with others actually helps to build their immune system, ya know?
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• We didn't have sanitizer in our pockets when I was growing up, but somehow I survived. Your body has to be exposed to germs and viruses so that it can build a defense against it. This is how vaccines work. The vaccine contains the virus, some live, some dead. When it is injected, your body then learns how to defend against it. Over washing and sanitizing can actually weaken the immune system. Just like in War of the Worlds. It was a common cold that killed the aliens. the aliens had never been exposed to it. their bodies could not fight it off.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• The more you avoid the germs the more likely your children will get sick once they start school. If they aren't exposed their bodies have no way of forming protection against the viruses so they catch every little thing.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever, a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose.

It is a virus! You catch a virus by coming in contact with it This is why handwashing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?

You can also adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

More kids will be poisoned by hand sanitizers than will be protected from illnesses

Answer by rkoloms at 2:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Channel your fear into something else. You cannot control every germ, nor should you. I absolutely understand being afraid for your kids, but use the energy in a more positive way. Decide to be afraid of them flunking out of school and channel your energy into making them LOVE reading and hate television or a fear of them liking fast food more than broccoli or something more beneficial than crippling them with an irrational fear of something unavoidable.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Boost your kids immune systems. Give them Vitamin d3 and vitamin C! I totally get you being worried, it's part of being a mom :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009