Why do first time moms "overpack"?

Have you seen the huge bag and accessories they carry at all times?
diapers, toys, clothes, formula, more formula, how much is too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They don't know any better. The first time I went out I overpacked. The next time I learned my lesson. But it's better to be overprepared than to be straned out and about w/o a diaper or wipes. I've had that happen too. But when you meet up with friends and they forgot something, it's nice to be able to say "here use mine" and vise versa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well, my son is now 2 and I still make sure that I always have extra clothes, snacks, toys and books, etc. when we go somewhere. I don't consider it "over packing" I just consider it being well prepared for any situation that we may run into. And it has come in handy quite a few times.

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 1:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• What is your beef with it?
    I saw your post in just for fun trying to make fun of them .
    Maybe they just want to be ready for everything,
    I know i do and i have 2 children.
    The one time you forget something youll need it.
    I think your just jealous some can afford more than you.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I don't think that it necessarily has to be an issue of jealousy. I think that it is a matter of preference as to how much a person feels that they need to pack.

Mine are 5 and 9 and if we go to the park I Still bring snacks and water bottles. Because they are always hungry. If someone else wants to not bring snacks everywhere- that's cool, but it works for me and my family.

Now... if someone was asking you to carry their overflowing bag everywhere... ;)
    momoftwokidlets

Answer by momoftwokidlets at 2:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i say what does it matter?? if some lady wants to over pack her diaper bag or even have two diaper bags on her than its her own business...

some people just like to be prepared for things. Have you seen woman with an overpacked purse, its the same sh!t... its not only first time moms.
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 2:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Define "overpack".

Your definition of "over pack" may not be the definition for someone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My kids are 12, 9, 8 and 10 months. I'm definitely not a first time mom, but I still carry a large bag full of stuff. As other moms have mentioned - I like to have snacks on hand for my kids, along with some books/small toys to keep them busy if we have to wait somewhere (ie drs office, pharmacy, etc). I also carry a change of clothes for my youngest and a first aid kit as well (neosporin, bandaids, etc). I like having everything I need.

Answer by missanc at 2:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY! I'm not a first time mom, but I would rather have more than enough than not enough and I personally don't give a shit who doesn't like it. It's my child not yours.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Umm, I am a first time mom, and for me its a matter of being prepared etc.

If I KNOW I am only going to be out for a little bit, i will throw the wipes and a couple diapers in my purse and a toy.....if i am not sure, there is bottles, formula, etc...
    I also live in colorado where the weather likes to change every five minutes.
    I can lterally be in shorts when I go into the store, and its snowing when I come out.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 3:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• sorry im not a first time mother and i take 2 bags when we go out. One with just diapers and extra clothes (i have 4 month old twins and a 2 yr old that is potty training) the other bag has bottles, formula, sippy cups and snacks, not to mention the storage bin of toys that stays in our van for the hour long drive to visit grandparents every weekend
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2009