9/11 - I need help, please!

My ds will turn 1 year-old tomorrow, September 11 - a day that also marks the anniversary of the events that changed our country. Our family would like to do something special to commemorate this anniversary but also celebrate his birthday. Any ideas ladies?

emnasmom

Asked by emnasmom at 1:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• To be honest, I have a hard time reconciling a happy event like a first birthday with 9/11. But if that's what you want to do maybe you could make it a patriotic theme? Red, white and blue colors? Or you could do something simple and understated like lighting a candle for those affected. Or release balloons in their honor?
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I would lean toward separating the two events. Even though at one he will be too young to know- as he gets older it will be difficult to have that birthdate. If you as a family want do something special to say- remember the families or to honor rescue workers on that date- that would be great. Just don't mix it in with the birthday.

Just a thought.
    momoftwokidlets

Answer by momoftwokidlets at 1:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Sorry... I forgot to say that the honoring/remembering could be done annually- sometime on that day- but just not incorporated Specifically in the party. If that makes sense.

Oh... here's a thought- as far as for the first birthday- if you have enough "Stuff"- you can request that gifts be money donated to a 9/11 charity. I would think that as he gets older though you can collect for 9/11 charities- but not link it to the birthday.
    momoftwokidlets

Answer by momoftwokidlets at 1:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• In all honesty I am not sure how this is appropriate for a child. And not tomention a child who was not born on that exact day....either way not appropriate. Let this be a day he claims and honor those victims of that day in 2001 in a different way. At one he won't understand his birthday much less that awful day. I think your heart is in the right place but that doesn't make it the right path to take. Every person deserves a special time and acknowledgement. Victims of 9/11 2001 have many tributes and charities to donate to all year long. Choose a time unrelated to your son's birthday and honor them then.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Just have a regular birthday party. This is a happy day for your son and family to celebrate. the fact that a horrible event occurred on this day shouldn't take away your son's celebration.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I would keep it seperate. If your family wants to commemorate the anniversary, do it at a different time then the party. A birthday party should be a happy event. 9/11 has taken on a whole different meaning for me now because my SO and my cousin's boyfriend were both killed in a car accident that day so the grief doubles sometimes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Don't release balloons ducks will eat them and die...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• He happens to have a birthday, the same day as an historical event. Celebrate his birthday. Let him have his day.

He'll learn the historical significance later in History class soon enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Do you have family that was directly affected by 9/11? If not celebrate your son. The longer we dwell on the terrorist attacks the longer the terrorist have influence over us.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2009