does anyone know a person child or adult that had fetal alcohol syndrome?

I am not trying to debate that alcohol is bad during pregnancy, or that mothers should drink. I am just really curious though, I know my mother drank with all three of us (1-2 glasses of wine a night). I also know that many of my friends mothers drank regularly with them and their siblings. Nobody I personally know knows anyone who had problems with FAS. Just trying to figure out how common it really was before they started warning us about it?

auroura

Asked by auroura at 1:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Health

• My ex-husband's brother had it. He was adopted back in the 60's. I expect his BM drank a lot more than 1 or 2 glasses of wine while she was pregnant with him. I think even before doctors started telling women not to drink, it was still common sense for most women to avoid hard drinking/partying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i went to school with a girl that drank her entire pregnancy and her son now has FAS. he is almost 3 and cannot walk, talk, or use his hands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i drank with my 2nd daughter in 97. i would drink occasionally like have rum and coke a night and the following week have some vodka and i would say i drank about 15 times the whole time i was pregnant. the only thing i notice is that she is hyper. thats it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I knew several children with FAS when I was in high school and volunteered in the special ed classroom. I don't believe that any of them lived with their biological families; none of their mothers were deemed fit to parent.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 3:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2009