Have any of your kids had a reaction from the flu shot, negative or not?

I am debating whether or not I want my dd to get a flu shot. She is five months old. She is vaccinated for everything else, but I used to babysit for a little boy who "supposedly" developed epilepsy and a mild form of autism after his flu shot. Have any of you had negative reactions? If so what happened? Did you give your infants the flu vaccine?

babyruby02

Asked by babyruby02 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i NEVER give my kids the flu shot. and 5 months is too young for it. If ur scared she will get it. keep her lil butt in the house not like she has to go to school or anything. Not many moms give their kids the shot... think about it. when they give ur baby the shot whats IN the shot?? THE FLU! go figure! sry if that sounds mean but im so against the flu shot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• mone dd never had any reaction to any shot, besides five minutes of crying
    until she got first of two shots last year for the flu
    she got a reaction, area got hard and red and kept getting worse, we took her in she had to have steriod cream for area
    needless to say, she did not have 2nd of the shots, and i do not think she will get any flu shot this year
    yes, our house had the flu last year, it was a barf fest for a day and a half
    but not a big deal, not any reason to subject my daughter to a chance of a reaction again
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• She was a bit cranky, but no fever or anything else. She's had it two years in a row.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I have to laugh at blaming Autism on a flu shot now. LOL Autism and epilepsy are both neurological disorders...problems in the brain.

I don't think they will give one to a baby only 5 months old, so it's a moot point anyway. I think they may next month though. (pretty sure they have to be at least 6 months)

None of my kids have ever had any reaction to a flu shot, other than crying as they received it.

The flu shot is not for the stomach "flu". It is for influenza, a respiratory infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I know that they are neurological disorders, and I also know that they won't give it till six months, I was just curious, becuase the more I read, the more skeptical I become... I also know it is for the respiratory flu. She hasn't had any reactions to her other shots other than crying and a tiny bump....
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I've never gotten my toddler a flu shot for a few reasons. First off, he's not around a bunch of other kids to the point where I need to worry too much about him catching something. And the flu is a virus...and it mutates, just like the common cold. The reason you have to get a new flu shot every year is because it's a different virus every year, and the vaccine is just their best guess at what the prevalent one is going to be for the coming season. That's why some people get the vaccine and still end up with the flu, because they caught a different strain than what they were vaccinated for. If either/both of my kids were in a daycare situation where they were likely to be exposed to a lot of illness from other kids, I would do it. But since they're not, I don't see the point, personally.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• On average, about every 50 or so years there is an influenza epidemic.
    While yes, the flu mutates....the vaccine still helps to build the immune system.

Do some homework on how many people the last empidemic killed. How many were children.
    Then compare that to the research on "what the shot could have maybe caused"
    Its the same as any other vaccine to me....can it be a gamble....sure. Have your kids had their other vaccines? those are a gamble by that comparison as well.

Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 3:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Both of my kids have gotten flu shots every year they have been old enough. I have never gotten any reactions.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If your child does not have any chronic conditions, like asthma and was not a preemie, I would talk to my pediatrician and get his/her opinion. If you or your husband do not travel for business or work with people who travel significantly, you are not likely to be exposed to the virus. Also, if you do not have older children in preschool or regular school, again, your baby's exposure is limited. If you choose not to vaccinate, just be careful when you are at the park and shopping. Wash her hands and make sure that she doesn't put anything germy in her mouth (good luck with that, lol!) I would also advise that as you go through your regular vaccination schedule, document any reactions she may have (even if it's fussiness). You can easily document your vaccinations in a digital format like Microsoft HealthVault or Google Health. They are handier than those yellow vax cards.
    lwild

Answer by lwild at 8:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Hey there - I'm not sure how much you know about Mase's history, but he was a micropreemie (less than 2lbs at birth) so it was non-negotiable in our home that he be vaccinated for the flu as well as receiving RSV shots. (Talk about some $$$!) He's never had any sort of reaction to any of his shots... and for us the benefits outweighed the risks when he was little. We'll still be the first in line to get shots this year!
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 11:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009