Do you think an atheist can "revert" back into a believer?

Countless people have told me that they were once atheists.

I personally believe that a true, real atheist can never become a member of a religion once they've accepted the beliefs of atheism. The idea of the nonexistence of a higher power isn't something you can just get rid of willy nilly.

Perhaps the people that claim to have once been atheists were "questioning" their faith, but didn't rule out a deity altogether?

I would like your opinion on this, especially from my fellow atheists. Do you think you could ever worship a higher power again, knowing what you know right now? I do not think true atheism is something you can come back from.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 1:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think sometimes life can hand you things that make you change your opinions.

I dont see why you can go from believing to not believing without also being able to go from not believing TO believing(kwim?).

I dont think it means you werent strong in your beliefs(or lack thereof) but things change, perceptions change, etc. and with those changes can come shifts in the spiritual dept. as well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I think God can change anyones life and beliefs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Sure. I suppose it's possible if they have an experience to which they cannot render a logical decision on. But can we turn the christian argument around just to be stupid fora minute?? *AHEM* " If they convert to christianity it's because they never fully denied God in the first place. " LOL I hate when christians say that if we left it's because we didn't truly know god or Jesus. I could worship a higher power if it proved it's existence. But if it were the christian god ,as I know him, I could only say Yeah you exist, but still not worthy of my respect or worship.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i dont think there is a higher power.. BUT if god is so forgiving all they have to do is ask to be forgiving and then god will forgive and welcome them back.. NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I think it's possible. I think if you go through a really shitty period in life you grab on to whatever life preserver you can to make it through. Sometimes that means reverting back to religion. For example, I could see someone having a very difficult time and reverting back to the faith of their youth because they find it comforting and familiar, kwim? Hey, whatever gets you through.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes, and I have seen it go the other way as well. Basically I agree with aramanth361.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My husband was an atheist and is now a Pagan. My best friend was an atheist and is now Pagan or something. She's kind of still questioning I think. Anyway, I've known people who were "hard core" atheists who now have beliefs in a higher power. Most of them are Pagan, but I've known a few Christians, too.

I think it's possible, but I believe that pretty much anything is possible.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I certainly hope so.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I am of the mindset that If a person reverts to a belief they were never the previous belief to begin with. A person who is atheist will always be an atheist and a person who is a christian will always be a christian. There may be periods in which they are questioning their beliefs or disappointed with what they believe and therefore they "claim" to be something else but they really aren't. For example a Christian who is mad at God may claim atheism for a period of time in their life but eventually will return to their Christian path. I don't see them as ever being atheists. They are simply Christians mad at God.
    That is one of the reasons I refuse to say I was a Christian, instead I say I was raised in a Christian home.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I can only speak for myself and I know I have never and will never believe.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009