My 18 month old is hitting, what the best way to get her to stop?

She's mainly hitting for fun, but it's been out of anger for a few times. She hits us, the dog and doesn't get it. She's pretty much defying us in every way she can right now, I feel lost

amyofthejungle

Asked by amyofthejungle at 2:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when she does you flat out and sternly say "NO HITTING" or No hitting it hurts mommy (dog, daddy, etc). At this age I know time out isnt real effective but if she does it multiple times set her away from you so she knows she's not getting any attention for hitting. obviously she wont sit still but she's not getting a reaction from you. Same with the dog, she hits poor puppy you say no hitting. i would do that two or three times bc she is so young still but after that say no hitting and move her from who she's hitting. she'll understand. my 9month old is already starting that yay! lol
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I tried the moving thing and very short time outs (1 min in a chair) and it helped some. The thing that really worked for us finally was DS hit me and I started crying, just like he crys when he is hurt, then went to DH crying and he gave me a kiss on my "Owie" and held me and such. That seemed to get the message across much faster.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• hit her back. my son hit me once. i hit him back and he hasn't done it since. same goes for pinching or biting. do the same thing they do to you. not too hard though obviously. trust me, it works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My 26 month old has just tried doing this...time outs were not working. I honestly think I was giving her too much attention about it and that's what kept her doing it...I was losing my patience and just getting mad. I've found that by getting down to her level and talking to her helps a hole lot!! ...Also i've tried "ouch that hurts mommy..and cry" ...it has worked she says "sorry mommy"
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 10:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009