Mom's with children diagnosed with ADHD-

What age did you find out your child had ADHD? What steps did you take for treatment and what are some of the treatment options out there? Did you take any parenting classes or join a support group?

I'm pretty sure that my 3 yo has ADHD and I'm trying to get as much info as possible about it and how to manage it. Any advice/info would be great from mom's that have/are going through it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• A 3 year old with ADHD???? How do you diagnose a 3 year old with that when they are naturally ADHD at that age?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i knew by the time my son was 2, it was finally brough up by a dr right before he turned 4
    he is now on meds
    the meds was kinda trial and error but the med he is on now he is doing great with
    his teachers say they prob wouldnt even know if i didnt tellthem, how ever they dont get him in the morning and at night when there is no meds
    if you are having a hard time with it then def look into family couciling
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• We found out when my son was 4. We tried other methods of coping with itwe had him on meds like diet, consistancy, behavior diary with a reward system but nothing worked and it got to the point that he was falling behind in school and not making friends so we decided on meds. It took 4 different tries with 4 different meds but finally found the right one. We did research on the meds and made sure his personality didnt change and that the meds didnt make him a zombie. Some people don't believe in doing meds but for us it was right for our family and our son. He is 10 now and still has his bad days but for the most part is working for him(he's happier and more outgoing) You just have to research your options and do what is best for your family but most importantly what's best for your child. Good Luck.
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If you have been around a child with ADHD it CAN BE obvious at 3, though it won't be diagnosed until a little later. My ADHD kid was my first. so I didn't know any better - just thought kids were really hard! I've had 2 more since the ADHD one, and they are way easier. I was always one of those people who thought ADHD was way over diagnosed and I didn't want my child taking any meds, so I did not take her to a doctor until she was 12. She was put on medication (I was still a little scared about that), and the improvement was incredible. Of course, I now feel REALLY guilty about putting it off so long. Her teachers would never come out and say it, but they'd hint and I'd say we'll try other ways to get her under control. We tried pretty much every parenting technique we could, and most of the time failed until we took a Love & Logic parenting class - that has been very helpful even with the non-ADHD kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Sorry typo. I meant to say we tried other methods before we turned to meds.
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It's not impossible to diagnose a 3 year old with ADHD. It is more difficult than it is with a school aged kid, but not impossible. The first anon has obviously never been around anyone with ADHD.

You need to get with a developmental pediatrician and/or psychologist. That's your first step. No sense in worrying about treatment until you know there is a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I knew by the time my son was 4...but he was diagnosed in Kindergarten. I was upset and did not want my child on medication. However, after 2 suspensions and countless detentions in Kindergarten we decided to try medication. It was trial & error and we finally realized he cannot handle stimulants so he is on a non-stimulant medication with a mood stabilizer also. I joined a few sites online--including an ADHD group here on CafeMom. Talking to other parents with children like mine was a life saver!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 2:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Medication should be a last resort!

There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Medications SHOULD be a last resort. Especially with a child so young. Many doctors won't even consider such a DX until after the age of 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• OP here-
    I wanted to thank everyone for their responses so far. I really appreciate them.

rkoloms- I'll look up the info you gave. I think we are ahead of the game a bit, because our family already eats "clean". We follow the Paleo diet ( no gluten, no processed foods, no beans or potatoes, very little dairy). I cook everything from scratch, but I do notice if we do eat a gluten product, it sets him off.

When you say you eat no meat, do you mean no red meat or a vegetarian diet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2009