How concerned should I be? To fast to say autism?

My son is 16 months old. He was a preemie so we count his corrected age at 14 months. We go to preemie development appointments offered at our hospital every 4 months. Our most recent visit they brought up some concerns. He isn't talking yet but babbles alot, he walks and bends over to pick up toys. He engages in one on one play and loves to laugh. He is very aware and makes very good eye contact. The only time he doesn't respond to his name being called is when he has found a new toy that amazes him(eventually he does look). He didn't respond to his name being called at the appointment when he was playing with a toy. He likes to spin car wheels (another major no..no!) But also likes other toys too. They think he may be autistic ... His daycare doesn't think so and many others seem to disagree. He doesn't point or wave, but never appears to be "withdrawn", just stubburn like his father. Am I in denial? Or should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't read anything in there that says Autism.

He babbles. He's only "14 months".

He makes eye contact.

He doesn't respond to his name when he's concentrating on something. (sounds like every single MALE I've ever met)

He likes to spin wheels. So? Does he do it CONSTANTLY? Can you break his attention and redirect him to something else? If you can redirect him, I repeat...so? That's a kid thing.

He doesn't point or wave..um..he's only 14 months developmentally!

If you're that concerned take him to a DEVELOPMENTAL PEDIATRICIAN. One who SPECIALIZES in diagnosing Autism and/or other neurological disorders.

OH...I have two on the spectrum. And while each Autistic kid is different...I see NOTHING in your description that says ASD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Honestly in my opinion, he doesn't sound it. Sounds like stuff my daughter does.. like the whole ignoring you when shes fascinated with something.. and sometimes she just ignores you to ignore you.. I'd say give it a little more time :) I bet he turns out to be fine.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I don't know, he sounds like my son. He gets involved when playing with a favorite toy, but if we are talking and say something he knows, he will repeat it or you can see him smile and say it - he's 22 months but I think at 14 months/even 16 months he seems right on track - My son LOVES cars - which happen to have wheels on it, He used to LOVE fans as an infant and that would freak me out - but he's didn't start talking til he was 19 months old - I mean he had about 40 single 1/2 words we knew but now he's talking so good - In my opinion as someone who used to be ( and sometimes still ) obsessed with autism, it wouldn't hurt to have education about it, but really, it was a first evaluation in 4 months and he's still very young.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• He sounds like a happy healthy 14 month old boy to me.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• He sounds normal to me. And daycares can be useful tools in picking up on problems. But I would keep an open mind, just in case, to what they have to say at your hospital appts. They are proffesionals, and they could be picking up on things do to that. But yet again, sounds normal to me.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009