Allergic to the Flu shot?

My dd is 6 and is allergic to eggs and milk. I know the flu vaccine has egg in it, I am wondering if the doctor will still give it to her or she won't be able to have it at all.

Anyone know or had experience with this?

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you see an allergist? My son is also allergic to milk and eggs. Both the MMR shot and the flu shot contain egg, the flu shot contains more, but even so, its trace amounts. If you or your pediatrician feel its important for her to have the shot, ask if it can be done in the allergists office, where they are prepared to deal with a reaction.

My son is a cardiac baby. He had open heart surgery when he was 8 days old to correct 3 heart defects. Between that and the fact that his sever food allergies and eczema take a toll on his immune system, his cardiologist and I both feel its imperitive that he have the shot, IF he's able. Next month we'll be going to the allergist when he will be skin tested with a very small amount. If there's no reaction, he will get 1/4 of the shot, wait 30 mins, get another 1/4, etc. Afte rhis final 1/4, we will have to wait another hour to make sure theres no delayed reaction.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 3:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• She won't be able to get it if it has egg in it. Be sure to tell your doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• There are other kind of flu vaccine. Your DD can take the flu mist one through noses. Ask your doc about that.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My mom is allergic to eggs and she can not get it - however, her doctor actually sent her to the lab to get it done because her doctor thought it would be fine - it wouldn't be fine so make sure your daughter know's she can get it!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No, the reaction she can get from the shot is much more severe than her getting the flu so no, she should not get it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No, they will not give it to her if she is allergic to ANYTHING in the flu shot. She MAY be able to get the Flu Mist. Check with her doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• She should not get the shot because of her allergy.
    Make sure YOU remind the doctor of her allergy and don't allow her to get the shot. Doctors are good at "forgetting".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• FYI the Flumist has a live virus in it and therefore can shed. Meaning she can be contagious to people around her. I would avoid it all and give her a good healthy diet.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2009