husband eats fries everyday.. effecting my infant?

my dd is only 7 months old but i am haveing a hard time gtting her to eat anything , she is breastfed so i know she is getting enough to eat and weighs 20 pounds but i really want her to love fruits and veggies, i am making and freezing my own organic ones but then at meal times my husand wants froxen fries, i always try tyo make a veg too but i seem to be the only one eating them. i really dont want this to effect her in the long run.. any advice please!

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• French fries are my 14 month old's FAVORITE food, and have been ever since she snagged one of mommy's fries from McD's at 8 months old (those lil fingers are QUICK.) I'll get a small order from McD's just about every day, but the trick is I only give her 4 or 5 of them, and give her juice with them. I have no problem also getting her to eat fruits, veggies, yogurt, and all kinds of other things that are good for her. She is happy, healthy, and LOVES food of all kinds. As long as you continue to offer a variety of healthier things, a little junk food (even a small amount daily) won't hurt her.
    QueenMama7808

Answer by QueenMama7808 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Tell him for your DD's health she needs veggies, he can have fries as a snack but dinner should be healthy foods.
    With my DD I gave her fruits and veggies at every meal, but she would only eat them IF she could feed them to herself. Now at 23 months, she hates greasy food and candy...I know weird kid lol. We took her to an all you can eat buffet and I got her a plate of pizza, mashed potatoes and macaroni, and also got her another plate of cooked carrots, green beans and broccoli and she didnt touch her pizza or mac and cheese. She ended up eating 3 plates of veggies and even turned down ice cream lol. Kids will learn to love the foods you give them, it may take time though.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It is early stages for solid eating with your baby. My son didn't start eating really until well into the second year. He eats now (at nearly 2) more but is mostly breastfed still so don't worry.

My son also loves my smoothies which are usually bananas blended with romaine lettuce. I would just introduce fruits and veggies and let her decide what she wants to eat...but don't worry if she isn't into food right yet.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If she sees her daddy eating a lot of something, she'll want it, too. But the same also goes for what she sees you eating. It won't completely nullify her "daddy favorites", but it will at least get some variety in there. And try telling her she can have the treats after she eats some of the good stuff. The more you make that standard practice now, the more it will become habit later in life.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Stop buying the fries. Make baked sweet potato "fries"

Answer by rkoloms at 4:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my husband is very picky but you would never know that by what my kids eat! Just because Daddy doesn't set a good example doesn't mean that Mommy can't! :D
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 5:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• 1) Either make your own baked fries or better yet....stop making them.

2) You cannot MAKE a toddler eat something unless you're willing to shove it in their mouth. They learn by experience, and when they see you BOTH eating a healthy diet will be more willing to follow suit.

3) Stop being a short order cook and just cook ONE meal.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2009