My Daughter is 2 weeks old. and she seems like she has a little cold. Is there anything i can give her until i take her back to the dr. on the 21st of sept. And she seems to be crying alot and nothing helps , but when i hold her .is there anything i can do to help her. This is my first baby.

jessyka795

Asked by jessyka795 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She wants you to hold her cause you are her momma and she was just separated from you. It will take time to be able to put her down for longer periods of time as all she has know up to this point is the sound of your heartbeat thru your uterus. Now, that she's not inside, she still needs to hear and smell you close. As for the cold, you can use a cold mist vaporizer or stand in a steamy bathroom, use the 'nose sucker' to clean it out and just keep an eye out for a temperature. Unless the doc tells you to give her meds and a dose amount, don't give her anything.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Tilt her bed so that she's not lying flat on her back (the whole bed, not just the mattress, so she's still not able to get between the mattress and the side of the bed); or she might sleep better sitting upright in a carseat or something. Sometimes that will help the drainage so she can breathe easier. You could also try some saline nose drops, those might clear her up.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I am having the same problem! Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. The most you can do is suction out her nose. If you can't get it all out you can use saline nose drops. It helps break it up. Just use a couple of drops in each nostrile before you suction it. I know it is so hard to have a sick newborn. Right now I have a sick newborn, toddler, hubby, and I'm sick. I think the hubby is harder than both of my girls together. He is such a baby! lol. Good luck! I hope your little one gets better soon. =D
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 4:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Most newborn sound like they are congested. It is normal NOT a cold. Hold your baby she just wants to close to you you are all she knows.
    Infants are obligate nose breathers which means that they only breathe through their nose. If their nose is stuffy they don’t know to open their mouth and breathe the same way that an adult would. Therefore the slightest nasal congestion, mucus strand or piece of dust tends to cause a baby to have noisy breathing. In addition, an infant’s nasal passages are narrow and the lining is very sensitive. These factors can lead to increased airway resistance which results in symptoms of snoring and nasal congestion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Hold your baby! Infants need to feel loved and secure.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• saline drops thats all you can do. but most impotant just hold her
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Just hold her :) I know how challenging it can be and how frustrating. My 2 week old goes through spurts in the morning and evening where he only wants to be held and so I hold him. Even though I have two other children who also want and need my attention. It can be a challenge, but I'm not going to make him lay in his bed screaming when I can just carry him.

You could invest in a wrap or sling to carry him around and still be able to accomplish other tasks.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Hold her and realize the difference between a cold an newborn congestion.

If you're that worried, why are you waiting to take her in until so late in the month? If they can't get you in sooner for a sick visit, it's way past time to find a new doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2009